How to Renew Your Initial II School Counselor License
Please read these instructions carefully, as the renewal requirements specific to your license type may have changed since you received your original advice letter. Use these instructions to ensure that you are submitting all information needed for renewal.
Fees for Renewing License:
· Nonrefundable processing fee of $100
· Late fees of $25 for each month or portion of a month that your license is expired, up to a maximum of $100
A. Instructions Specific to this License:
1. You may choose to renew this license indefinitely.
· Since this is a final license type, you do not need to complete any additional college coursework or experience to maintain the license.
· You must complete 25 Professional Development Units (PDUs) for each year that you worked half-time or more in a contracted position in Oregon. Please contact your district for specific information concerning your PDU requirements.
· Request that your school district submit an In-State PEER form verifying your assignment and PDUs.
2. You may choose to qualify for the optional Continuing School Counselor License:
To qualify for this license, you must:
· Have 5 years of half time or more school counseling experience on any non-provisional license valid for the assignment, AND
· Complete one of the following:
o Doctor's degree in educational, vocational, or clinical counseling; or in clinical or counseling psychology from a regionally accredited college or university.
· This work must be verified on an official transcript.
o A professional development program offered by an institution, an employer, or the two working together.
· This must be verified on a Program Completion Report form C2 sealed by the institution or employer.
o A Continuing School Counselor program offered by a college or university in Oregon beyond the initial school counseling program.
· This requires that you submit a Program Completion Report form C2 sealed by the college or university and an official transcript.
B. General Instructions for Submitting Materials:
1. Submit the processing fee of $100. This fee is not refundable. You may pay by check or money order made payable to “TSPC;” or by credit card, by calling (503) 378-3586. (We do not accept American Express.)
2. Complete all sections of the Application for License or Registration (C-1 form). You must carefully answer the Character Questions on page 3 of this form. Click here for the instructions on answering these questions. Be sure to sign and date the form, once completed.
BEFORE SUBMITTING THE REQUIRED MATERIALS, HAVE YOU:
o Filled out the C-1 application form completely, including answering the character questions?
o Signed and dated the C-1 application form? (Your application must be signed and dated within 60 days prior to the date the application is received by TSPC and cannot be post-dated.)
o Submitted the processing fee?
o Confirmed that your district(s) completed the In-State PEER form verifying any Oregon educator experience and completion of required PDUs? The In-State PEER form must be submitted in a sealed school district envelope or submitted electronically by the school district directly to TSPC.
o Confirmed that TSPC has received official transcript(s) bearing the seal of the institution and the signature of the registrar, if coursework needs to be verified? Transcripts must be submitted in an envelope sealed by the institution or submitted electronically by the college or university directly to TSPC.
WHEN SUBMITTING MATERIALS, PLEASE REMEMBER:
A signed C-1 application form and the requisite fee must be received before the expiration date of your current license or you must pay a late fee in addition to the application processing fee.
· This license is eligible for the 120-day grace period. You MUST submit the C-1 form and required fee PRIOR to the expiration of your license in order for the 120-day grace period to activate. However, please submit all materials necessary to renew/upgrade well before your current license expires to ensure continuous licensure.
· Late fees: The late fee is $25 for each month or portion of a month for which your license is expired, up to a maximum of $100 in late fees. If you upgrade your license to a different license type, you do NOT need to pay a late fee.
· Reinstating an expired license: If you allow your license to expire for more than one year, you must meet the licensure requirements in effect at the time you apply for reinstatement. (Please note that these requirements may differ from the requirements associated with the license that expired.)
· You do NOT need to submit all of your materials at the same time. It is acceptable to submit materials as you complete them. However, please remember that the C-1 form and required fee MUST be submitted before your license expires.
· Please do NOT staple your materials together.
Failure to provide all necessary materials in a timely manner will delay issuance of your license.