How Renew Your Limited Student Service License
Please read these instructions carefully, as the renewal requirements specific to your license type may have changed since you received your original advice letter. Use these instructions to ensure that you are submitting all information needed for renewal.
Fees for Renewing License:
· Nonrefundable processing fee of $100
· Late fees of $25 for each month or portion of a month that your license is expired, up to a maximum of $100
A. Instructions Specific to this License:
1. Request that your district write a letter attesting that your assignment will remain exactly the same.
2. Submit an up-to-date job description of your current assignment. An educator who holds a Limited Student Services License:
· Must NOT be in a job that requires a licensed school counselor or school psychologist.
· Must NOT use a job title containing words derived from “psychology,” nor claim to be a psychologist, nor provide psychological services without obtaining a psychologist license.
3. If you are renewing the Limited Student Services License for the first time, you must also:
- Submit an official passing score on the Oregon Educator Licensure Assessments (ORELA): Protecting Student and Civil Rights in the Educational Environment exam (www.orela.nesinc.com), if you have not already submitted a passing score.
- Note: You do not need to take this exam if you:
(a) Already completed a TSPC-approved anti-discrimination workshop and submitted a certificate of completion dated prior to September 1, 2009, or
(b) Held a full educator license in Oregon prior to 1985.
As of September 1, 2009, TSPC no longer recognizes workshops, online courses or other tests in lieu of the ORELA civil rights exam.
- Submit an official passing score on one of the following Basic Skills Exams (Reading, Writing and Mathematics):
- Praxis 1: Pre-Professional Skills Assessment (PPST); or
- California Basic Education Skills Test (CBEST); or
- Washington Educator Skills Test – Basic (WEST-B); or
- ORELA: Essential Academic Skills Exam (EAS)
· Note: The basic skills exam will be waived if you submit official transcripts verifying completion of a doctorate degree from a regionally accredited institution or foreign equivalent or if you held an unrestricted Oregon educator license before 1985.
B. General Instructions for Submitting Materials:
1. Submit the processing fee of $100. This fee is not refundable. You may pay by check or money order made payable to “TSPC;” or by credit card, by calling (503) 378-3586. (We do not accept American Express.)
2. Complete all sections of the Application for License or Registration (C-1 form). You must carefully answer the Character Questions on page 3 of this form. Click here for the instructions on answering these questions. Be sure to sign and date the form, once completed.
BEFORE SUBMITTING THE REQUIRED MATERIALS, HAVE YOU:
o Filled out the C-1 application form completely, including answering the character questions?
o Signed and dated the C-1 application form? (Your application must be signed and dated within 60 days prior to the date the application is received by TSPC and cannot be post-dated.)
o Submitted the processing fee?
o Confirmed that TSPC has received passing score reports for any required tests?
o Confirmed that your district(s) completed the In-State PEER form verifying any Oregon educator experience? The In-State PEER form must be submitted in a sealed school district envelope or submitted electronically by the school district directly to TSPC.
o Confirmed that TSPC has received official transcript(s) bearing the seal of the institution and the signature of the registrar, if coursework needs to be verified? Transcripts must be submitted in an envelope sealed by the institution or submitted electronically by the college or university directly to TSPC.
WHEN SUBMITTING MATERIALS, PLEASE REMEMBER:
A signed C-1 application form and the requisite fee must be received before the expiration date of your current license or you must pay a late fee in addition to the application processing fee.
· This license is eligible for the 120-day grace period. You MUST submit the C-1 form and required fee PRIOR to the expiration of your license in order for the 120-day grace period to activate.
· Late fees: The late fee is $25 for each month or portion of a month for which your license is expired, up to a maximum of $100 in late fees. If you upgrade your license to a different license type, you do NOT need to pay a late fee.
· Reinstating an expired license: If you allow your license to expire for more than one year, you must meet the licensure requirements in effect at the time you apply for reinstatement. (Please note that these requirements may differ from the requirements associated with the license that expired.)
· You do NOT need to submit all of your materials at the same time. It is acceptable to submit materials as you complete them. However, please remember that the C-1 form and required fee MUST be submitted before your license expires.
· Please do NOT staple your materials together.
Failure to provide all necessary materials in a timely manner will delay issuance of your license.