The Substitute Teaching License allows the holder to substitute teach at any grade level in any subject area as a temporary replacement for a teacher who is unable to work. The holder of this license may not continuously replace an individual teacher absent for more than three consecutive months without obtaining a full-time teaching license.
The Substitute Teaching License is issued for three years and can be renewed. A letter will accompany the license explaining exactly what you must complete for renewal.
To be eligible for a Substitute Teaching License, the applicant must:
1) Hold a Bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally-accredited institution in the United States or hold a foreign equivalent degree, as approved by the commission; and
2) Hold (or have ever held) an unrestricted teaching license valid for full-time teaching in any state for K-12 public schools; and
3) Obtain a passing score on the “Protecting Student and Civil Rights in the Educational Environment” examination, offered through ORELA; and
4) Be able to successfully pass a background clearance check.
To apply for the Substitute Teaching License, you will need to submit the following:
2) $120 non-refundable evaluation fee;
3) $59 Fingerprint processing fee;
5) A copy (front and back) of a full time unrestricted out–of-state K-12 public school teaching license (Your out-of-state license does not have to be active and does not have to be valid all levels K-12) ;
6) Official transcripts received in a sealed university envelope verifying the minimum of a bachelor’s degree and your teacher education program coursework. (We recommend you submit official transcripts of all preparation you have completed.);
7) Passing score report for the ORELA “Protecting Student and Civil Rights in the Educational Environment” test.
You are required to submit the fingerprint card and handler sheet even if your fingerprints have already been cleared by another Oregon agency or another state. Please submit the fingerprint materials with your other application materials.
You may make one payment of $179 by check or money order made payable to “TSPC;” or with a debit or credit card by calling (503) 378-3586. (We do not accept American Express.) To make the payment over the phone you must wait until you have received an email from TSPC stating we received your application materials. A payment will NOT be taken over the phone until we have received your application materials.