Teaching License Redesign
This webpage is for overview purposes only.
for specific rules and regulations on teaching licensure.
Overview of Redesign of Teaching License
Purpose of redesign
All teachers licensed under one system
More advancement options for teachers
More flexibility for districts
Supporting instructional excellence for all students
Notes on redesign of teaching licenses
Process began in October 2012.
Teachers, districts, programs and other stakeholders helped design new system.
Basic/Standard and Initial/Continuing licensure systems are combined into new Preliminary/Professional structure.
All licenses have a preK-12 authorization.
New Teaching Licenses
Preliminary Teaching license
- New and novice teachers
- May renew until qualfies for Professional Teaching License
- 3 year license
Professional Teaching license
- Teachers with advanced competencies and experience
- Requires 4 years full time experience
- Requires completion of advanced professional development or educational program
- 5 year license
Teacher Leader license
- Optional license
- Teachers with professional leadership activities
- Must first qualify for professional or equivalent license
- Requires at least 5 years recent teaching experience
- 5 year license
Legacy Teaching license
- Veteran teachers
- Held Oregon Basic teaching license prior to 1999
- Not eligible for Professional Teaching License
- 3 year license
Reciprocal Teaching license
- Out-of-state teachers moving to Oregon
- Must have completed teacher prep program outside of Oregon
- Must have an active and valid out-of-state teaching license
- Transitional license while working on Oregon requirements
- One year license
Conversion Table: Teaching Licenses (All old licenses are converting to new licenses)
Endorsements and Specializations
One set of endorsements and specializations - all teaching licenses
Old endorsement types converting to new ones
Middle level/multiple subjects endorsement
was eliminated on 7/1/2015. As teachers holding this endorsement renew,
TSPC staff will evaluate the applicant and grant endorsements based on the
transition rule approved by the Commission. Until renewal, these teachers may
continue in their current assignment, with consideration given to what the
teacher may need to do to add the endorsement.
Please use the current TSPC license guide for assignments for the 2016-17 school year. Use the conversion tables to find the appropriate course codes. (See conversion tables)
TSPC will update the license guide for the 2017-18 school year based on new endorsements titles and repeal of highly qualified requirements.
Conversion Table: Old to New Endorsements
Conversion Table: New to Old Endorsements
Professional Development Requirements
- 75 continuing PDUs if currently hold 3 year license (Preliminary and Legacy)
- 125 continuing PDUs if currently hold 5 year license (Professional and Teacher Leader)
- PDU: Continuing and Advanced for more information
Administrator License Redesign
Conversion Table: Titles of Administrator Licenses
Personnel Service License Redesign
Personnel Service licenses
School social worker, school counseling, school psychologist licenses
Redesign starts in 2017
Only titles of licenses have changed.
Due to statutory title changes, the initial II school counselor license has been eliminated. Initial II licenses are being renewed as preliminary school counselors as a placeholder until redesign is finished.
Preliminary school counselor license (old initial) is now continuously renewable - until redesign is completed