How to Renew Your Basic Teaching License
Please read these instructions carefully.  Use these instructions to ensure that you are submitting all necessary information required to renew your license. 
Fees for Renewing License:  
·      Nonrefundable processing fee of $100
·      Late fees of $25 for each month or portion of a month that your license is expired, up to a maximum of $100 
A.   Instructions Specific to this License:
The instructions for renewing your license will depend upon your specific Oregon teaching experience and coursework completion.   
·         For all three of the scenarios below, you must complete 25 Professional Development Units (PDUs) for each year that you taught half-time or more in a contracted position in Oregon.  Please contact your district for specific information concerning your PDU requirements.
·         You will need to request that your school district submit an In-State PEER form verifying your teaching assignment and PDU units.
The general scenarios are as follows:
1.    Renewing a Basic Teaching License with an Elementary or Secondary endorsement to teach through grade nine, but without Special Education
·  You may continue to renew the Basic Teaching License indefinitely; you do not need to move to a Standard Teaching License.
2.    Renewing a Basic Teaching License through grade twelve:
A.    First Renewal
·         You must show progress toward the Standard Teaching License by completing a minimum of 24 quarter hours of upper division or graduate level coursework. This coursework must be:    
§ completed after you obtained your bachelor’s degree, and
§ completed through a regionally-accredited institution, and
§ verified on an official transcript
B.    Second Renewal
·         You must meet the coursework requirement for the Standard Teaching License by completing one of the following:
§ a Master’s degree or higher in the arts and sciences; OR
§ complete upper division/graduate level coursework in lieu of a degree:
·         You must earn a total of 45 upper division/graduate quarter hours completed after obtaining your bachelor’s degree. 
·         NOTE:  At least 15 graduate quarter hours must be in your endorsement area(s)
·         If you hold one or more of the Special Education endorsements on your license, you MUST complete a Master’s degree or higher in Special Education. 
3.    Applying for your first Standard Teaching License
a.    You need to submit official transcripts verifying your Master’s degree or equivalent.
b.    If you received your first license prior to January 1, 1990, you need to verify two years of full-time experience OR three years of half-time experience, whichever is less.
c.    If you received your first license after January 1, 1990, you need to verify three years of half-time or more experience.
NOTE: If you do not meet the experience requirement for the Standard Teaching License, but you have met the coursework requirement, you are eligible to renew your Basic Teaching License indefinitely.
B.  General Instructions for Submitting Materials: 
1.  Submit the processing fee of $100.  This fee is not refundable.  You may pay by check or money order made payable to “TSPC;” or by credit card, by calling (503) 378-3586. (We do not accept American Express.)
2.  Complete all sections of the Application for License or Registration (C-1 form). You must carefully answer the Character Questions on page 3 of this form. Click here for the instructions on answering these questions. Be sure to sign and date the form, once completed.  
3.  Request that your Oregon district(s)/school complete the In-State Professional Educator Experience Report (PEER form)and submit the form to TSPC. 
Filled out the C-1 application form completely, including answering the character questions?
Signed and dated the C-1 application form?  (Your application must be signed and dated within 60 days prior to the date the application is received by TSPC and cannot be post-dated.)
Submitted the processing fee?
Confirmed that your district(s) completed the In-State PEER form verifying any Oregon educator experience and completion of PDUs?  The In-State PEER form must be submitted in a sealed school district envelope or submitted electronically by the school district directly to TSPC.
Confirmed that TSPC has received official transcript(s) bearing the seal of the institution and the signature of the registrar, if coursework needs to be verified?  Transcripts must be submitted in an envelope sealed by the institution or submitted electronically by the college or university directly to TSPC.
A signed C-1 application form and the requisite fee must be received before the expiration date of your current license or you must pay a late fee in addition to the application processing fee. 
·       These licenses are eligible for the 120-day grace period.  You MUST submit the C-1 form and required fee PRIOR to the expiration of your license in order for the 120-day grace period to activate. 
·       Late fees:  The late fee is $25 for each month or portion of a month for which your license is expired, up to a maximum of $100 in late fees.  If you upgrade your license to a different license type, you do NOT need to pay a late fee. 
·       Reinstating an expired license: If you allow your license to expire for more than one year, you must meet the licensure requirements in effect at the time you apply for reinstatement.  Please note that these requirements may differ from the requirements associated with the license that expired.)
·       You do NOT need to submit all of your materials at the same time.  It is acceptable to submit materials as you complete them.  However, please submit all materials necessary to renew/upgrade well before your current license expires to ensure continuous licensure.
·       Please do NOT staple your materials together.
Failure to provide all necessary materials in a timely manner will delay issuance of your license.
For additional assistance, please contact us at or (503) 378-3586.