Your Three-Year Career and Technical Education Teaching License
Please read these instructions carefully, as the renewal requirements specific to your license type have definitely changed since you received your original advice letter.
A. Instructions Specific to this License:
- You may no longer renew the Three-Year CTE license; this license type has been phased out. Instead, you must either transition to a CTE I or a CTE II license, one of the recently-adopted new Career and Technical Education licenses, or add the CTE endorsement to a full, unrestricted Oregon teaching license:
1. Contact the CTE Regional Coordinator for your employing Oregon school district and complete all steps included in the CTE I Teaching License Instructor Appraisal and Application Process set forth by the Oregon Department of Education (ODE).
2. If you have completed an educator preparation program and hold a full Oregon teaching license, you may choose to add a CTE endorsement to your full license. Contact the CTE Regional Coordinator for your employing Oregon school district and complete all steps included in the Add an Additional Endorsement Application Process set forth by the Oregon Department of Education.
o Note: The Add an Additional Endorsement Application Process checklist can be found on the Oregon Department of Education’s website:
· The Oregon Department of Education will review your materials and determine which CTE option best fits your circumstances. ODE will then send a recommendation form to TSPC, after which we can process your application for licensure, as follows.
B. Steps to Take to Move to a New CTE License:
1. Once ODE has recommended you for a CTE I license, a CTE II license, or a CTE endorsement, you may submit an application with TSPC.
2. Submit an official passing score on the approved civil rights exam, if you have not done so already. Information concerning that test, the Oregon Educator Licensure Assessments (ORELA): Protecting Student and Civil Rights in the Educational Environment exam, can be found at (www.orela.nesinc.com).
- Note: You do not need to take this exam if you held a full educator license in Oregon prior to 1985.
o As of September 1, 2009, TSPC no longer recognizes workshops, online courses or other tests in lieu of the ORELA civil rights exam.
3. Submit official transcripts verifying completion of an Associate’s degree or submit the signed ODE waiver, if you have not already provided this information. The ODE waiver must have been signed within 90 days from the date that application materials were submitted to TSPC.
4. Submit the processing fee of $100 to TSPC. This fee is not refundable. You may pay by check or money order made out to "TSPC;" or with a debit or credit card by submitting the Credit Card Payment Form or by calling (503) 378-3586. (We do not accept American Express.)
5. Complete all sections of the Application for License or Registration (C-1 form). You must carefully answer the Character Questions on page 3 of this form. Click here for the instructions on answering these questions. Be sure to sign and date the form, once completed.
BEFORE SUBMITTING THE REQUIRED MATERIALS, HAVE YOU:
o Filled out the C-1 application form completely, including answering the character questions
o Signed and dated the C-1 application form? (Your application must be signed and dated within 60 days prior to the date the application is received by TSPC and cannot be post-dated.)
o Submitted the processing fee?
o Confirmed that TSPC has received the official score report(s) from any required exams?
o Confirmed that you have completed any steps required by Oregon Department of Education?
o Confirmed that your district(s) completed the PEER form verifying any Oregon educator experience and completion of required PDUs? The PEER form must be submitted in a sealed school district envelope or submitted electronically by the school district directly to TSPC.
WHEN SUBMITTING MATERIALS, PLEASE REMEMBER:
A signed C-1 application form and the requisite fee must be received before the expiration date of your current license.
· You do NOT need to submit all of your materials at the same time. It is acceptable to submit materials as you complete them. However, please remember that the C-1 form and required fee MUST be submitted before your license expires.
· If you choose to mail your material, please do NOT staple your materials together.
Failure to provide all necessary materials in a timely manner will delay issuance of your license.