How to Renew Your Initial I Teaching License
Please read these instructions carefully, as the renewal requirements specific to your license type may have changed since you received your original advice letter. Use these instructions to ensure that you are submitting all information needed for renewal.
Fees for Renewing License:
· Nonrefundable processing fee of $100
· Late fees of $25 for each month or portion of a month that your license is expired, up to a maximum of $125.
A. Instructions Specific to this License:
You must verify that you have made progress toward completing one of the following options.
1. To Renew the Initial I Teaching License:
You must show progress toward qualifying for the Initial II or the Continuing Teaching License by completing a minimum of 4.5 quarter credits or 3 semester credits of graduate level coursework.
This coursework must be:
a. germane to your license or directly germane public school employment, and
b. completed through a regionally-accredited institution, and
c. verified on an official transcript.
This coursework must have been completed during the life of your current license.
The Initial I Teaching License may only be renewed two times. After the second renewal, you must either move to the Initial II or to the optional Continuing Teaching License.
2. To Qualify for the Initial II Teaching License:
a. If your original Initial, Initial I, or out-of-state non-provisional teaching license was based on completion of an undergraduate teacher program OR a Bachelor’s degree, you must:
· Complete one of the additional degrees:
o A Master’s degree or higher in the arts or sciences, or
o An advanced professional degree from a regionally accredited institution in the US, or
o The foreign equivalent of such a degree approved by the commission, OR
· Complete graduate level coursework, in lieu of a degree:
This coursework must be germane to your license or public school employment. You must earn at least 15 quarter hours or 10 semester hours of graduate level coursework in each of the following:
o Subject matter coursework; and
o Education-related coursework; and
o Elective coursework.
For the above requirement, a minimum of 9 quarter hours or 6 semester hours of the required degree program or degree equivalent must have been completed since your first full-time, unrestricted license was issued by any state.
b. If your original Initial, Initial I, or out-of-state non-provisional teaching license was based on a graduate-level teacher preparation program OR a Master’s degree (or higher), you must:
· Demonstrate that your graduate program culminated in a master’s degree or higher OR that your graduate-level teacher preparation program was at least 45 quarter hours or 30 semester hours of graduate credit; AND
· Complete an additional 9 quarter hours or 6 semester hours of graduate level coursework.
This coursework must be:
o germane to your license or directly germane public school employment, and
o completed through a regionally-accredited institution, and
o verified on an official transcript.
For the above requirement, a minimum of 9 quarter hours or 6 semester must have been completed since your first full-time, unrestricted license was issued by any state.
3. To Qualify for the Optional Continuing Teaching License:
You must qualify for the Initial II Teaching License to be eligible for this optional license.
To qualify for this license, you must:
a. Hold one of the following degrees together with an equally accredited bachelor’s degree:
o A Master’s or higher in the arts and sciences; or
o An advanced professional degree from a regionally-accredited institution in the US; or
o The foreign equivalent of such degree approved by the commission;
b. Have taught five years of at least half-time or more in any state on any non-provisional license appropriate to teach the subject:
o A completed PEER form must be submitted to document the teaching experience;
c. Complete one of the following:
o A TSPC-approved Continuing Teaching License program offered by an Oregon institution with an approved CTL program (demonstrated by a Form C-2); or
o A doctorate degree in education from a regionally-accredited institution; or
o Certification by the National Board of Professional Teaching Standards; or
o Certificate of Clinical Competence awarded by the American Speech and Hearing Association (for those holding a communication disorders endorsement), or
o A Professional Certificate from the State of Washington.
B. General Instructions for Submitting Materials:
1. Submit the processing fee of $100. This fee is not refundable. You may pay by check or money order made out to "TSPC;" or with a debit or credit card by submitting the Credit Card Payment Form by mail or calling (503) 378-3586. (We do not accept American Express.)