The Initial Teaching License is the first stage Oregon teaching license issued to candidates who were prepared in another state. This license is valid for full time and substitute teaching; a separate Substitute Teaching License is NOT required.
To be eligible for an Initial Teaching License, the applicant must:
1) Hold a Bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally-accredited institution in the United States or hold a foreign equivalent degree, as approved by the commission; and
2) Hold (or have ever held) an unrestricted teaching license valid for full-time teaching in any state for K-12 public schools; and
3) Be able to successfully pass a background clearance check.
The Initial Teaching License is valid for 18 months and is issued with the comparable Oregon endorsements and authorization levels the applicant holds on the out of state license. At the end of 18 months, all Oregon testing requirements must be completed to retain licensure in Oregon.
If you completed any exams for your out-of-state teaching license, send your exam scores (original score reports will be returned to you). We will evaluate the content of the exams to determine if they are substantially similar to the exams that Oregon requires. If any are, we will waive that exam required by Oregon; otherwise, we will include an advice letter with your Initial Teaching License explaining exactly what you must complete in order to move to the next renewable teaching license.
Click here to access the out of state exams that have been evaluated so far. (This is NOT a complete list. If the exam you took is not on this list we have NOT completed an evaluation on the exam. Make sure to submit your passing scores so we can complete the evaluation.)
In order to make complete application for the Initial Teaching License, you must submit the following:
2) $120 non-refundable evaluation fee;
3) $59 fingerprint processing fee;
5) A copy (front and back) of a full time unrestricted out–of-state K-12 public school teaching license (Your out-of-state license does not have to be active and does not have to be valid all levels K-12) ;
6) Official transcripts received in a sealed university envelope verifying the minimum of a bachelor’s degree and your teacher education program coursework. (We recommend you submit official transcripts of all preparation you have completed.);
7) Copies of any out-of-state exam score reports (This is optional but HIGHLY recommended if you have passed any exams for your out of state license);
8) OPTIONAL: Professional Educator Experience Report (PEER form) verifying your teaching experience. If you have 5 years of teaching in the subject area half time or more on a license valid for the assignment this form is recommended. By submitting verification of 5 years of experience you may be eligible for a transcript evaluation to determine if you are eligible for waiver of the subject matter exam(s). Acceptable experience must have been obtained while holding a license valid for the assignment and an out of state license valid during the 5 years must be submitted. (Verification of the experience does not automatically waive exams.)This form must be received in our office sealed by the school district
You are required to submit the fingerprint card and handler sheet even if your fingerprints have already been cleared by another Oregon agency or another state. Please submit the fingerprint materials with your other application materials.
You may make one payment of $179 by check or money order made payable to “TSPC;” or with a debit or credit card by calling (503) 378-3586. (We do not accept American Express.) To make the payment over the phone you must wait until you have received an email from TSPC stating we received your application materials. A payment will NOT be taken over the phone until we have received your application materials.