How to advance from an Oregon Initial Teaching License
Please read these instructions carefully, as the requirements specific to your license type may have changed since you received your original advice letter.  Use these instructions to ensure that you are submitting all necessary information required to move to your next license. 
Fees for Renewing License:  
  •     Nonrefundable processing fee of $100
  •     Late fees of $25 for each month or portion of a month that your license is expired, up to a maximum of $125

Instructions Specific to this License:

The Initial Teaching License is not eligible for renewal.  Instead, you must now qualify for either an Initial I teaching license or a Professional teaching license. 
Qualify for an Initial I teaching License
To qualify for this license, you must: 
  1.  Have held a non-provisional teaching license issued by an approved jurisdiction;
  2. Submit official passing scores on exams, as follows:
  • Civil Rights Exam:  This test is required of ALL Oregon educators; there is no waiver.  As a fully-licensed teacher in another state before coming to Oregon, you were eligible to teach for 18 months on the Initial Teaching License before being required to take the exam.  However, before you can be issued another Oregon license, you will need to submit a passing score for this exam.  Information concerning this test, the “Oregon Educator Licensure Assessments (ORELA): Protecting Student and Civil Rights in the Educational Environment” exam, can be obtained at (
  • Subject Matter Exams: Please consult the TSPC website to determine the appropriate tests for your endorsement area.  Please know that the subject matter tests that you took in your original state may be deemed “comparable” to Oregon’s tests for the same subject matter.  If your tests ARE deemed comparable, you will not be required to take Oregon’s subject matter exams.
Note:  If you qualify for the Initial I Teaching License, during your NEXT two renewal cycles, you MUST show progress toward completion of the requirements for the Professional teaching license.  When you receive your Initial I Teaching License, please carefully review the instructions regarding what is required to “show progress.”
General Instructions for Submitting Materials:
       You must submit a non-refundable fee of $100. This fee is not refundable. You may pay by check or money order made out to "TSPC;" or with a debit or credit card by calling (503) 378-3586. (We do not accept American Express.)
       Complete all sections of the Complete all sections of the Application for License or Registration (C-1 form). You must carefully answer the Character Questions on page 4 of this form. Click here for the instructions on answering these questions. Be sure to sign and date the form, once completed.  
       Request that your Oregon district(s)/school complete the Professional Educator Experience Report (PEER form) and submit the form to TSPC. In addition to the coursework requirements you must verify four years of full time teaching experience on a license valid for the assignment in order to obtain the Professional teaching license.
       A signed C-1 application form and the processing fee must be received before the expiration date of your current license.
       This license is eligible for the 120-day grace period.  You MUST submit the C-1 form and required fee PRIOR to the expiration of your license in order for the 120-day grace period to activate. 
       If coursework is required: 
       Transcripts must be submitted in an envelope sealed by the institution or submitted electronically by the college or university directly to TSPC.
       Late fees: The late fee is $25 for each month or portion of a month for which your license is expired, up to a maximum of $125 in late fees.
       Please do not staple your materials together. 
       Failure to provide all the necessary materials in a timely manner will delay issuance of your next license. 
       For additional assistance, please contact us at or (503) 378-3586.