How to Renew Your Restricted Substitute Teaching License
Please read these instructions carefully, as the renewal requirements specific to your license type may have changed since you received your original advice letter. Use these instructions to ensure that you are submitting all information needed for renewal.
Fees for Renewing License:
· Nonrefundable processing fee of $100
· Late fees of $25 for each month or portion of a month that your license is expired, up to a maximum of $100
A. Instructions Specific to this License:
1. If you have renewed this license before, please complete the general requirements listed in section B of these instructions.
2. If this is your first renewal, in addition to the general requirements listed in section B of these instructions, you must also:
· Submit an official passing score on the approved civil rights exam, if you have not already submitted a passing score. Information concerning that test, the Oregon Educator Licensure Assessments (ORELA): Protecting Student and Civil Rights in the Educational Environment exam, can be obtained at (www.orela.nesinc.com).
o As of September 1, 2009, TSPC no longer recognizes workshops, online courses or other tests in lieu of the ORELA civil rights exam.
· Submit an official passing score on one of the following basic skills exams (Reading, Writing and Mathematics), if you have not already done so:
o Praxis 1: Pre-Professional Skills Assessment (PPST); or
o California Basic Education Skills Test (CBEST); or
o Washington Educator Skills Test – Basic (WEST-B); or
o ORELA: Essential Academic Skills Exam (EAS).
o Note: The basic skills exam will be waived if you submit sealed official transcripts verifying completion of a doctorate degree from a regionally accredited institution or foreign equivalent.
B. General Instructions for Submitting Materials:
1. Submit the processing fee of $100. This fee is not refundable. You may pay by check or money order made payable to “TSPC;” or by credit card, by calling (503) 378-3586. (We do not accept American Express.)
4. If you are renewing before January 1, 2013, you do not need to complete Professional Development Units (PDUs) for this renewal period. However, this will soon change. For all renewals after January 1, 2013, you will be required to complete PDUs to maintain your license. Click here to learn more about your PDU requirements.
BEFORE SUBMITTING THE REQUIRED MATERIALS, HAVE YOU:
o Filled out the C-1 application form completely, including answering the character questions?
o Signed and dated the C-1 application form? (Your application must be signed and dated within 60 days prior to the date the application is received by TSPC and cannot be post-dated.)
o Submitted the processing fee?
o Confirmed that TSPC has received a C-2 form from your institution, if that is required?
o Confirmed that your district(s) completed the In-State PEER form verifying any Oregon educator experience? The In-State PEER form must be submitted in a sealed school district envelope or submitted electronically by the school district directly to TSPC.
o Confirmed that TSPC has received official transcript(s) bearing the seal of the institution and the signature of the registrar, if coursework needs to be verified? Transcripts must be submitted in an envelope sealed by the institution or submitted electronically by the college or university directly to TSPC.
WHEN SUBMITTING MATERIALS, PLEASE REMEMBER:
A signed C-1 application form and the requisite fee must be received before the expiration date of your current license or you must pay a late fee in addition to the application processing fee.
· This license is eligible for the 120-day grace period. However, please submit all materials necessary to upgrade as soon as possible to ensure continuous licensure.
· Late fees: The late fee is $25 for each month or portion of a month for which your license is expired, up to a maximum of $100 in late fees. If you upgrade your license to a different license type, you do NOT need to pay a late fee.
· Reinstating an expired license: If you allow your license to expire for more than one year, you must meet the licensure requirements in effect at the time you apply for reinstatement. Please note that these requirements may differ from the requirements associated with the license that expired.)
· You do NOT need to submit all of your materials at the same time. It is acceptable to submit materials as you complete them. However, please remember that the C-1 form and required fee MUST be submitted before your license expires.
· Please do NOT staple your materials together.
Failure to provide all necessary materials in a timely manner will delay issuance of your license.