How to Upgrade Your Restricted Transitional Teaching License
Please read these instructions carefully, as the renewal requirements specific to your license type may have changed since you received your original advice letter.  Use these instructions to ensure that you are submitting all information needed for renewal. 
Fees for Renewing License:
·      Nonrefundable processing fee of $100
·      Late fees of $25 for each month or portion of a month that your license is expired, up to a maximum of $100
A.   Instructions Specific to this License:
In order to continue teaching, you must qualify for the Initial I Teaching License.  You must:
1)  Complete an approved educator-preparation program, as documented by a Program Completion Report (C-2 Form) from your institution.
2)  Submit official passing scores on THREE types of exams, as follows:
a.   Civil Rights Exam: Information concerning this test, the “Oregon Educator Licensure Assessments (ORELA): Protecting Student and Civil Rights in the Educational Environment” exam, can be obtained at (
b.   Basic Skills Exam: Submit passing scores for ONE of the following Basic Skills Exams (Reading, Writing and Mathematics):
·         Praxis 1: Pre-Professional Skills Assessment (PPST); or
·         California Basic Education Skills Test (CBEST); or
·         Washington Educator Skills Test – Basic (WEST-B); or
·         ORELA: Essential Academic Skills Exam (EAS)
NoteThe basic skills exam will be waived if you submit one of the following:
·      Official transcripts verifying completion of a Master’s degree from a regionally-accredited institution from another state or foreign equivalent AND a copy of your full educator license from another state; or
·      Official sealed transcripts verifying completion of a doctorate degree from a regionally-accredited institution or foreign equivalent; or
·      A copy of your non-provisional California Teaching Credential.
c.   Subject Matter Exams: Please consult the TSPC website to determine the appropriate tests for your endorsement area.  Please know that the subject matter tests that you took in your original state may be deemed “comparable” to Oregon’s tests for the same subject matter.  If your tests ARE deemed comparable, you will not be required to take Oregon’s subject matter exams.
Note:  If you qualify for the Initial I Teaching License, during your NEXT two renewal cycles, you MUST show progress toward completion of the requirements for either the Initial II Teaching License or the optional Continuing Teaching License.  When you receive your Initial I Teaching License, please carefully review the instructions regarding what is required to “show progress.”
B.   General Instructions for Submitting Materials:
1.  Submit the processing fee of $100.  This fee is not refundable.  You may pay by check or money order made payable to “TSPC;” or by credit card, by calling (503) 378-3586. (We do not accept American Express.)
2.  Complete all sections of the Application for License or Registration (C-1 form)You must carefully answer the Character Questions on page 3 of this form. Click here for the instructions on answering these questions. Be sure to sign and date the form, once completed.  
3.  Request that your Oregon district(s)/school complete the Professional Educator Experience Report (PEER form)and submit the form to TSPC. 
Filled out the C-1 application form completely, including answering the character questions?
Signed and dated the C-1 application form?  (Your application must be signed and dated within 60 days prior to the date the application is received by TSPC and cannot be post-dated.)
Submitted the processing fee?
Confirmed that your district(s) completed the PEER form verifying any Oregon educator experience?  PEER form must be submitted in a sealed school district envelope or submitted electronically by the school district directly to TSPC.
Confirmed that TSPC that received a C-2 form from your institution, verifying completion of your educator preparation program?
Confirmed that TSPC has received official transcript(s) bearing the seal of the institution and the signature of the registrar, if coursework needs to be verified?  Transcripts must be submitted in an envelope sealed by the institution or submitted electronically by the college or university directly to TSPC.
This is not an unrestricted license and it is not eligible for a grace period.  For this reason, ALL materials must be submitted as soon as possible, to ensure that TSPC has adequate time to issue your next license before this license expires.
·     Late fees:  The late fee is $25 for each month or portion of a month for which your license is expired, up to a maximum of $125 in late fees.  
·     Reinstating an expired license: If you allow your license to expire for more than one year, you must meet the licensure requirements in effect at the time you apply for reinstatement.  Please note that these requirements may differ from the requirements associated with the license that expired.
·     You do NOT need to submit all of your materials at the same time.  It is acceptable to submit materials as you complete them.  However, please remember that the C-1 form and required fee MUST be submitted before your license expires.
·      Please do NOT staple your materials together.
Failure to provide all necessary materials in a timely manner will delay issuance of your license.
For additional assistance, please contact us at or (503) 378-3586.