How to Renew Your Substitute Teaching License
Please read these instructions carefully, as the renewal requirements specific to your license type may have changed since you received your original advice letter.  Use these instructions to ensure that you are submitting all information needed for renewal.  
Fees for Renewing License:  
·      Nonrefundable processing fee of $100
·      Late fees of $25 for each month or portion of a month that your license is expired, up to a maximum of $100
A.   Instructions Specific to this License:
You hold an unrestricted substitute license.  Renewal requirements depend upon:  (a) whether this is your first renewal or you have renewed the license before; and (b) whether you received your license based on a “C-4” recommendation from an Oregon institution.  Please read below to identify the renewal instructions specific to your license:
1.    If you have renewed this license before AND you have completed a full educator program, you must submit only an application form and a processing fee, as explained in Section B.
2.    If you were issued an unrestricted Substitute Teaching License based upon a C-4 recommendation from an Oregon institution, you may NOT renew this license without first completing all program requirements specified by your institution.  In order to be eligible for further licensure, in addition to submitting an application form and a fee, you must also:
·         Complete all requirements for a full, unrestricted Oregon teaching license (Initial I Teaching License). Please contact your Oregon institution to determine your specific completion requirements. 
·         Request that your Oregon institution submit both an electronic Program Completion Report form (C-2) and official transcripts of your program coursework. 
·         NOTE:  You are NOT eligible for further licensure unless you have completed the requirements for a full, unrestricted Oregon teaching license.
3.    If this is the first renewal, you must submit application and fee, as described on page 3, and also:
·               Submit an official passing score on the approved civil rights exam, if you have not already submitted a passing score.  Information concerning that test, the Oregon Educator Licensure Assessments (ORELA): Protecting Student and Civil Rights in the Educational Environment exam, can be obtained at (
o        Note:  You do not need to take this exam if you held a full educator license in Oregon prior to 1985
o        As of September 1, 2009, TSPC no longer recognizes workshops, online courses or other tests in lieu of the ORELA civil rights exam.
·            Submit an official passing score on one of the following Basic Skills Exams (Reading, Writing and Mathematics):
o    ORELA: Essential Academic Skills Exam (EAS); or
o    California Basic Education Skills Test (CBEST); or
o    Praxis 1: Pre-Professional Skills Assessment (PPST); or
o    Washington Educator Skills Test – Basic (WEST-B);
·         Note: If you completed your original educator licensure program in another state, the basic skills exam will be waived if you submit one of the following:
o        Official transcripts verifying completion of a Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution or foreign equivalent AND a copy of your full educator license from another state; or
o        Official sealed transcripts verifying completion of a doctorate degree from a regionally accredited institution or foreign equivalent; or
o        A copy of your non-provisional California Teaching Credential.
B.  General Instructions for Submitting Materials:
1.  Submit the processing fee of $100.  This fee is not refundable.  You may pay by check or money order made payable to “TSPC;” or by credit card, by calling (503) 378-3586. (We do not accept American Express.)
2.  Complete all sections of the Application for License or Registration (C-1 form). You must carefully answer the Character Questions on page 3 of this form. Click here for the instructions on answering these questions. Be sure to sign and date the form, once completed.  
3.     You do not need to submit a Professional Educational Experience Report (In-State PEER) Form. 
4.  You do not need to complete Professional Development Units (PDUs) if you are renewing before January 1, 2013.  However, this will soon change.  For all renewals after January 1, 2013, you will be required to complete PDUs to maintain your license.  Click here to learn more about this requirement. 
Filled out the C-1 application form completely, including answering the character questions?
Signed and dated the C-1 application form?  (Your application must be signed and dated within 60 days prior to the date the application is received by TSPC and cannot be post-dated.)
Submitted the processing fee?
Confirmed that TSPC has received a C-2 form from your institution, if that is required?
Confirmed that TSPC has received official transcript(s) bearing the seal of the institution and the signature of the registrar, if coursework needs to be verified?  Transcripts must be submitted in an envelope sealed by the institution or submitted electronically by the college or university directly to TSPC.
A signed C-1 application form and the requisite fee must be received before the expiration date of your current license or you must pay a late fee in addition to the application processing fee. 
·       This license is eligible for the 120-day grace period.  However, please submit all materials necessary to upgrade as soon as possible to ensure continuous licensure.
·       Late fees:  The late fee is $25 for each month or portion of a month for which your license is expired, up to a maximum of $100 in late fees.  If you upgrade your license to a different license type, you do NOT need to pay a late fee. 
·       Reinstating an expired license: If you allow your license to expire for more than one year, you must meet the licensure requirements in effect at the time you apply for reinstatement.  Please note that these requirements may differ from the requirements associated with the license that expired.)
·       You do NOT need to submit all of your materials at the same time.  It is acceptable to submit materials as you complete them.  However, please remember that the C-1 form and required fee MUST be submitted before your license expires.
·       Please do NOT staple your materials together.
Failure to provide all necessary materials in a timely manner will delay issuance of your license