File a complaint

How to file complaints against contractors

If you file a complaint with us and it is in our jurisdiction, our dispute resolution staff will do their best to help you reach a settlement with your contractor. 

However, complaints with us must be filed within strict time limits. Learn more​.

Also, we can only help if the contractor was licensed during your construction project. If the contractor was unlicensed, our enforcement staff may be able penalize the contractor and encourage him or her to address your concerns.

The booklet, Resolving Disputes With Your Contractor​​, offers additional information on filing complaints.

Before you file your complaint

  • You must give the contractor notice by certified mail that you intend to file a complaint with the CCB. You must mail this notice at least 30 days before you file the complaint.
  • If the notice is returned or the contractor refuses to accept delivery, you can still file your complaint 30 days after you mail the notice by certified mail.  ​
  • We have a pre-complaint form​ that you can use to generate a notice. You may want your own notice if you have additional information, such as a list of alleged defects.

​​Complaint forms 

All complaints must be filed against licensed contractors using one of these forms:

You may have to pay a $50 processing fee. We will let you know after we review your complaint to determine if we have jurisdiction.