Skip to the main content of the page

Contractor tools

DEQ rules require survey prior to demolition

On Jan. 1, 2016, the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) adopted rules requiring an asbestos survey before demolishing residential buildings built before Jan. 1, 2004. 

Demolition is defined as wrecking that removes any load-supporting structural member (a load-bearing wall, for example) or intentional burning. DEQ specifically requires that:

  • An accredited inspector conducts the asbestos survey before demolition. The accredited inspector should supply his credentials upon request.
  • A copy of the asbestos survey be kept on site and provided to DEQ upon request.
An asbestos survey is not required if all of the material will be handled and disposed of as asbestos-containing material.


DEQ can grant a waiver of the survey requirement if requested in writing and documentation proves, to DEQ's satisfaction, that there is no asbestos-containing material present.

Non-residential buildings undergoing remodeling and demolition have always required an asbestos survey. This has not changed.


Visit the DEQ’s asbestos webpage

Or, contact the office nearest you:

Clackamas, Clatsop, Columbia, Multnomah, Tillamook and Washington counties: Call the Northwest Region – Portland Office to contact Susan Farland at 503-229-5982 or 800-452-4011.

Benton, Lincoln, Linn, Marion, Polk and Yamhill counties: Call the Western Region – Salem Office to contact Dottie Boyd at 503-378-5086 or 800-349-7677.

Jackson, Josephine and Eastern Douglas counties: Call the Western Region – Medford Office to contact Steven Croucher at 541-776-6107 or 877-823-3216.

Coos, Curry and Western Douglas counties: Call the Western Region – Coos Bay Office to contact Martin Abts at 541-269-2721, ext. 222.

Crook, Deschutes, Harney, Hood River, Jefferson, Klamath, Lake, Sherman and Wasco counties: Call the Eastern Region – Bend Office to contact Frank Messina at 541-633-2019 or 866-863-6668.

Baker, Gilliam, Grant, Malheur, Morrow, Umatilla, Union, Wallowa and Wheeler counties: Call the Eastern Region – Pendleton Office to contact Tom Hack at 541-278-4626 or 800-304-3513.

Lane County: Call the Lane Regional Air Protection Agency at 541-736-1056.