You won't know for sure if you are eligible for Refugee Program benefits until you apply. In order to be eligible for refugee benefits, you must:

  • Be a refugee. The term "refugee" also encompasses other groups who have been designated by the Office of Refugee Resettlement as being eligible for services as refugees. See who is a refugee as a guide. A worker will then assess if you meet the complex requirements of some categories.
  • Have been in the U.S. as a refugee for less than eight months, or attained the qualifying status within the past 8 months
  • Live in Oregon
  • Meet the income standards
  • Be at least 18 years old (if you have dependent children, you could be eligible for TANF)
  • Not be a full-time student in college   

If you have minor children, you may be eligible for TANF beyond the initial eight-month period. Please go to your local DHS Self-Sufficiency Office and ask for an application.

How to Apply for Benefits

If you live in the Refugee Case Services Project (RCSP) service area of Multnomah, Washington and Clackamas counties, please contact a local resettlement agency and ask for an application.  See Refugee Service areas in Oregon​.

If you live in any other county in Oregon, please go to your local DHS self-sufficiency office and ask for an application, or if you have any questions, request an appointment. For questions regarding refugee policy, please contact DHS central office at 503-945-5600.