Skip to the main content of the page

Claimant Handbook

 Filing for Unemployment Insurance Benefits

Unemployment Insurance is not public assistance, or an entitlement program. Unemployment Insurance benefits replace part of your lost income if you lose your job through no fault of your own. Employers pay all costs of the Unemployment Insurance program. Taxes are not withheld from employee paychecks.

We consider you unemployed any week that you work fewer than 40 hours and earn less than your weekly benefit amount.

There are two ways to qualify:
1: You must have earned at least $1,000 in wages from employers subject to UI law AND have total base year wages that equal or exceed one and a half times the wages paid in the highest calendar quarter of the base year.


2: If you don’t qualify the first way, you may qualify for a valid claim if you have some wages and worked at least 500 hours in employment subject to UI law during the base year.

The base year is the one-year period your claim is based on. Your base year is determined by the date you file your initial claim application, not the date you become unemployed.

A calendar quarter is a 3-month period ending March 31, June 30, September 30 or December 31.

You can file online using the Online Claims System at:

or call the UI Center and file with a claims specialist. UI Center numbers are o the back cover of this handbook.

Typically your Wage and Potential Benefit Report will arrive in the mail within 10 days from the date you filed your initial claim. This report includes the wages reported by your base year employer(s) and the weekly benefit amount you may receive if you are eligible.

Carefully review the wages and employers reported on the Wage and Potential Benefit Report. If wages are missing or incorrect, follow the instructions on the form and call the UI Center immediately. If your benefit amount is based on wages you didn't earn, you will be responsible for REPAYING the money paid to you.

Your Wage and Potential Benefit Report includes a Customer Identification Number (CID). The CID is a unique number assigned only to you. We use it on the documents we send to you as a way to safeguard your claim and Social Security Number from identity theft.

You need your CID to update personal information online, such as changing your address or applying for electronic deposit. We do NOT give out your CID, even if you call, so please keep a record of it. You can get your CID by bringing a photo ID to a WorkSource Oregon center and asking a Department representative.

You create a four-digit PIN the first time you use one of our automated systems. Pick a number you will remember, but others cannot guess. You will need your PIN when using any of our automated systems.




No one at the Employment Department has access to your PIN. You can change or reset your PIN through the Online Claims System, or by calling the UI Center.

Your weekly benefit amount is 1.25% of your total base year wages. Oregon law sets the minimum and maximum amounts you can receive.

Your benefit year is a 52 week period that begins the first week you file. You may receive total benefits of up to 26 times your weekly benefit amount during this time. You can't file a new Oregon claim until your benefit year is up, even if you've received all of your benefits.

If you were unable to work due to injury or illness for the major portion of any of the calendar quarters in the base year, call the UI Center. It may be possible to extend your base year to include additional quarters.

If you move outside of Oregon, contact the UI Center at (877) 345-3484 to change your address and get instructions on how to report. Keep this handbook because the same rules apply if you are out of state.

NOTE: You will need to register with the agency that provides job placement services in the state that you have moved to within 14 days or your benefits may be denied.

Use the Online Claims System at:

or call the UI Center.

​​Download the complete Claimant Handbook as a PDF:

​Unemployment Insurance Contact Center: 

TOLL FREE: (877) 345-3484


Weekly Claim Line Number:

TOLL FREE: (800) 982-8920

TTY Relay Service 711​​​​​


PO Box 14135

Salem OR 97309-5068

Fax: (866) 345-1878​​