Skip to the main content of the page

Claimant Handbook

 Payments, Deductions and Tax Withholding

If you meet all the eligibility requirements and file your claim each week, you should receive your first payment about three weeks after you apply for benefits. For all new claims, the first payment is usually made by paper check.

The Employment Department pays benefits by U.S. Banks ReliaCard(R) Visa and electronic deposit. If you don't apply for payment by electronic deposit, a ReliaCard Visa will be sent to you after we issue your first payment.

1. Electronic Deposit
With electronic deposit, we electronically transfer your weekly benefit payment into your checking or savings account at your bank, credit union, or savings and loan.

To apply for electronic deposit you will need your bank's routing and account numbers. Here is an example of where you can find these numbers on a check:


To apply for direct deposit:

Using the Online Claim System to set up Direct Deposit is the quickest way to receive payments. ​

Important: The Employment Department has no control over your payment after it is transferred to your bank. If you have fees assessed to your account, such as garnishments or overdraft penalties, your bank may deduct those before they deposit any payment.

Please contact us at (503) 947-1394 if the bank account information you provided is incorrect.​

2. ReliaCard(R) Visa
With the U.S. Bank ReliaCard Visa, your payments are deposited onto a prepaid debit card. This card can be used anywhere Visa debit cards are accepted.

If an authorization for electronic deposit has not been processed and confirmed prior to being approved for benefits, a ReliaCard will be issued to your when your first payment is issued. You don't need to apply for a ReliaCard.

Please watch for the card in the mail. It will arrive in a plain white envelope with a Indianapolis, IN return address. Don't throw it away, even if you sign up for electronic deposit. This card is good for one year. Please keep your card for future use.

When you receive your card, call the toll-free number on the card to activate it You will receive a Cardholder Agreement with the card that explains the various fees and conditions associated with it. You will also receive monthly statements from U.S. Bank with your account information.

If you have any additional questions, call ReliaCard at:

Important Fee Information: There may be fees associated with the use of your ReliaCard. Read your Cardholder Agreement thoroughly, along with any additional notifications you receive from ReliaCard. In addition, you can read important information from the Oregon State Treasurer's Office website regarding prepaid cards and related fees.

If you owe child support payments and there is a court order from the Oregon Department of Justice requiring deductions, a percentage is deducted from your benefits each week. The deductions continue until the court notifies us to stop.

If you have questions regarding child support deductions, call the Oregon Child Support Program at:
(503) 378-5567 (in Salem), or
1-800-850-0228 (outside of Salem)

We may deduct retirement income from your weekly benefit amount.

If you apply for, are eligible to receive, or receive any type of retirement (except Social Security), or any type of disability retirement income, you must report this information to the UI Center immediately. After you report this information, we will mail a notice to you if we are going to deduct from your benefits. Failure to report retirement or changes in that income could result in denial and possible overpayment of benefits. (See Fraud)

If you receive retroactive retirement income covering a period of time for which you were also paid unemployment benefits, you will be responsible for repaying any overpayments that result.

Yes. You may choose to have 10% of your weekly benefit amount withheld for federal income taxes and/or 6% withheld for state income taxes. Any taxes withheld are immediately transmitted to the Internal Revenue Service and the Oregon Department of Revenue. Changing your tax status requires a completed Authorization for Tax Withholding (1040WH) form. To download the Spanish version of this form, click here, or call the UI Center to have one mailed to you.
For more information, click here​.​

At the end of January, we will send you a Form 1099-G (Statement for Recipients of Unemployment Compensation) to your last known address. This notice states the benefits paid and taxes withheld during the previous year.

Please call the UI Center to change your address even if you stop claiming. This ensures the correct delivery of your 1099-G. After the end of January, you can also access your information through the Online Claims System at:

If you have claimed a week but haven't received your payment, check the status of your payment with the Online Claims System at:

You can also call the Weekly Claim Line. Follow the instructions for checking the status of your weekly claim. Either system will tell you if the week has been paid. If the system confirms payment, please allow seven business days from the day you claimed for weekly benefits before calling the UI Center about a late payment. If you haven't received your first payment please refer to First Payment within this section.

You can track the remaining balance of your claim using the Online Claims System. You can also call the Weekly Claim Line phone system and select Option #2 to check the status/balance.

Download the complete Claimant Handbook as a PDF:

Unemployment Insurance Contact Centers: 

Portland Area: (503) 292-2057

Salem Area: (503) 947-1500

Eastern/Central Oregon/Bend:

(541) 388-6207

TOLL FREE: (877) 345-3484


Weekly Claim Line Numbers:

Portland Area:

(503) 224-0405

Greater Salem Area:

(503) 375-7900

Eastern/Central Oregon/Bend:

(541) 388-4066

TOLL FREE: (800) 982-8920

TTY Relay Service 711​​​​​


PO Box 14135

Salem OR 97309-5068

Fax: (866) 345-1878​​