Animal Import and Export

State and federal regulations regarding the shipment of livestock and other animals across state lines support efforts to prevent, control, or eradicate animal diseases and prevent livestock theft.

Each state determines the requirements for animals entering from outside its borders. Call the Office of the State Veterinarian in the state of destination to learn the state's current import requirements such as the following:

  • Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI)
  • Import permit
  • Vaccinations against disease
  • Tests for disease
  • Statements about the animal disease conditions of the area or flock/herd of origin
  • Other requirements the state determines are appropriate

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) sets requirements for interstate shipment of some animals, for which there are state-federal disease eradication programs (cattle, swine, poultry).

Animal owners are responsible for complying with regulations when moving animals across state lines. Your veterinarian can help you with this process.

Information about import requirements for each species may be found on the individual species pages.


Export Information - Contact list of state veterinarians

List of contact information for the Office of the State Veterinarian. When exporting, contact the state of destination for requirements. Contact information for state veterinarians
United States Animal Health Association website

Import Permit Information

Contact us for general information regarding import requirements or to obtain an import permit. Import permits can only be issued to accredited veterinarians.Animal Health Program
Import Permit Line
Phone: 503-986-4680
Fax: 503-986-4734



Oregon Department of Agriculture
Animal Health
635 Capitol St NE
Salem, OR 97301
Phone: 503-986-4680
​​​​USDA Tumwater Area Office
1550 Irving Street SW, Ste 100
Tumwater, WA 98512
Phone: 360-753-9430