Animal Import and Export

General requir​ements

All equidae must be accompanied by a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) issued less than 30 days prior to entry.

Equidae includes:

  • Horses
  • Asses
  • Donkeys
  • Mules
  • Zebras

Horse passport 

Resident horses of Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and Washington may obtain a Six-Month Equine Certificate (also known as a horse passport or extended validity CVI) which is valid for travel in the following states:

  • Washington
  • Oregon
  • Idaho
  • California
  • Montana (requires a lifetime brand certificate to accompany the passport)

The Six-Month Equine Certificate cannot be altered once it is issued. The issuing veterinarian must indicate the states of intended travel and the Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA) will send a copy of the certificate to each.

Owners, please remember: It is your responsibility to keep track of every trip out of state. At the end of the six-month period, you send a copy of both the front and the back of the CVI to each state checked on the front. The Trip Record form and the mailing addresses for the participating states are on the back of the owner's copy of the certificate.

Testing requirements

A negative test for Equine Infectious Anemia (EIA) is required less than 6 months prior to entry. Tests with "pending" results are not acceptable.


The following are exempt from the EIA test requirement:

  • Nursing foals under 6 months of age, traveling with a negative dam

​Import permit

An import permit is required. Please call our office to obtain an import permit prior to shipment. ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​


Animal Health
635 Capitol St NE
Salem, OR 97301
Phone: 503-986-4680