Seed Regulatory Program

The Seed Regulatory and Hemp Programs are jointly responsible for regulating the production, labeling, and sale of hemp seed in Oregon. Other programs, such as Plant Health and Market Access and Certification can assist in seed testing and exporting hemp seed. Find more information in the Agricultural Hemp Seed Requirements & FAQs

What is agricultural hemp seed? 

  • Seed that is sold or intended to be sold for planting
  • Unprocessed or partially processed
  • Capable of germination
  • Harvested from hemp plants that have been tested pre-harvest and found to contain no more than 0.3% THC. ​

Buying hemp seed

When purchasing seed, its is important to know what you are getting. All seed that is being sold for the purpose of planting needs to be in a package labeled accurately to reflect its contents.​

Selling hemp seed

To sell hemp seed in Oregon, either a retail or wholesale seed dealers license is required, depending on the end consumer. However, if a person is selling only seeds that they produce, a license is not needed. The state of Oregon does not recognize seed licenses issued by other states; out-of-state entities must have an ODA-issued license. 

  • A wholesale seed dealer license is required for any person who sells, offers, or holds for sale, agricultural or vegetable seed to retailers, distributers, brokers, or other wholesalers for resale.

Certified Hemp Seed

Record keeping

Oregon Seed Laws and the Federal Seed Act require certain records to be maintained for each lot of seed produced and sold. In addition, Oregon law requires hemp seed growers and handlers to maintain records. These requirements may not overlap—check with both programs to ensure that the correct information is maintained.

Labeling hemp seed

Hemp seed is considered an agricultural seed as defined in ORS 633.511 to 633.750​ and therefore the labeling requirements outlined in the Federal Seed Act and Oregon Seed Laws must be followed. 




Main Office
Hemp Program
635 Capitol Street NE
Salem, OR 97301
Phone: 503-986-4652