The Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA) receives grant funding from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to enhance the competitiveness of Oregon's specialty crops. ODA accepts competitive applications for specialty crop grant funds annually.
Enhance the competitiveness of U.S. specialty crops
To be eligible for a grant, the project(s) must "enhance the competitiveness of U.S. specialty crops" in either domestic or foreign markets.
Crops that are eligible
- Tree nuts
- Dried fruits
- Christmas trees
- Turf type grasses
- Nursery crops (including floriculture and horticulture)
The following organizations can submit projects that aim to enhance the production and competitiveness of Oregon’s specialty crop industries:
- Non-profit organizations
- Government entities
- For-profit organizations
- Industry trade associations
- Producer groups
- Commodity commissions
- Public and private colleges/universities
- Grant funds will not be awarded for projects that directly benefit or provide profit only to a single organization, institution, or individual.
- Funds may not be used to purchase fixed assets or personal property.
- Expenditures incurred prior to grant award may not be included in the grant request or eligible for reimbursement.
- Administration or indirect costs (defined as expenses incurred in controlling or directing an organization, but not directly identifiable with financing, marketing, or production operations) cannot be paid for with these grant funds.
Timeline (subject to change)
|Request for full proposals (RFP)
||Opens December 1, 2020|
|Live webinar (recorded version will be available after the webinar)
||January 29, 2021 at 12:00 pm (noon)|
|Projects reviewed by SCBGP Advisory Committee
||February 2021 - March 2021|
|Projects reviewed by the ODA director
||Late March 2021|
|Sub-grantees selected to participate in the FY21 SCBGP
||Early April 2021|
|Projects sent over for review by USDA||May 2021|
|USDA approval of SCBGP projects||September 2021|
|FY21 sub-grantees may begin work on FY21 projects||October 2021|
Oregon Specialty Crop Block Grant Program—Proposal form
Proposal application form will be available soon