In order to qualify to instruct students, the instructor must be certified by DMV and meet all qualifications, or be exempt from certification, as listed in OAR 735-160-0003 and -0075
(Driver Training). The instructor must operate or be employed by a certified Commercial Driver Training School. Note: In using the link above, you may need to scroll down to find the correct OAR reference.
In order to apply, you must:
- Be at least 21 years of age to conduct behind-the-wheel training and age 19 to conduct classroom training;
- Be an employee of a School that holds a valid and current Commercial Driver Training School Certificate issued by DMV;
- Have valid Oregon driving privileges and have had valid driving privileges for at least three years preceding the date an application is submitted to DMV for an instructor certificate (an instructor who has not held Oregon driving privileges for the three year period may be required to submit a certified driving record from any jurisdiction or foreign government that issued driving privileges during that period);
- Complete a Driver Training Instructor Application (Form 735-6050B), signed by the owner of the commercial driver training school;
- Pay a $100 application fee;
- Pass the Commercial Driving School Instructor knowledge test and drive test;
- Pass a vision test; and
- Pass a criminal background check.
Note: Additional application details are included in the application form.
You may copy or print the application form
from your computer, or you may obtain a hardcopy form by calling DMV Business Regulations at (503) 945-5052.
You may submit your completed application, supporting materials and payment by mail or in person to our office at:
Driver and Motor Vehicle Services
1905 Lana Ave NE
Salem, OR 97314
Service counter hours are 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM, Monday thru Friday (excluding statewide and holiday closures
For more information, you may contact DMV Business Regulations at (503) 945-5052.