In order to qualify to instruct students, the school must be certified by DMV, and meet all qualifications, or be exempt from certification, as listed in OAR 735-160-0003 and -0010
(Driver Training). The school operator must either be a or employ one or more certified instructor(s).
In order to apply, you must:
- Complete a Commercial Driver Training School Application (Form 735-6050);
- Provide proof of:
- $2,500 bond
- Insurance in the amount of $50,000 for injury to or destruction of property, $100,000 for bodily injury to or death of one person, and $300,000 for bodily injury to or death of two or more persons; and
- Schedule of maximum fees for instruction;
- Register your school name with the Secretary of State Corporation Division and provide the registry number;
- Provide a list of all instructors to be certified and training vehicles used by your school:
- Instructors must be qualified (see OAR 735-160-0075); and
- Training vehicles must be equipped with dual controls of a type approved by DMV (see OAR 735-160-0040); and
- Pay a $200 application fee.
Note: In using the OAR links above, you may need to scroll down to find the correct OAR reference. Note: Additional information and instructions are provided in the application form.
You may copy or print the application form
from your computer, or you may obtain a hardcopy form by calling DMV Business Regulations at (503) 945-5052.
You may submit your completed application, supporting materials and payment by mail or in person to our office at:
Driver and Motor Vehicle Services
1905 Lana Ave NE
Salem, OR 97314
Service counter hours are 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM, Monday thru Friday (excluding statewide and holiday closures
Note: All DMV offices accept cash or checks and will be able to accept debit and credit cards for payment by the end of 2016. Certain DMV offices are already able to take debit and credit card payments.
For more information, you may contact DMV Business Regulations at (503) 945-5052.