Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Military Personnel


Picture of a military pilot in the cockpit of an aircraft  
This page provides links to information and frequently asked questions that are of particular interest to military personnel, veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces and their families. 
Use the links below to go directly to any section:
Driving, Driver Licenses, Permits & ID Cards
Vehicle Title & Registration
Veterans' Benefits
Veterans, their spouses and dependents may have benefits available to them. However, these benefits must be applied for in order to receive them. You may do so by contacting the Oregon Department of Veterans’ Affairs. They provide an online form that is intended for use by military veterans, spouses and dependents seeking additional information about veterans’ benefits.

Frequently Asked Questions
Are there any special license plates available for veterans?
Yes, there are several veteran and military service-related license plates available.
Can I use a mail forwarding service provider's address for my DMV address?
Yes, you may use the address of a mail forwarding service provider as your mailing address. However, you are required to provide DMV with your residence address as well. This address should be where you physically reside.
Do disabled veteran license plates allow individuals to use disabled parking spaces?
No, the purpose of the disabled veteran license plate is to honor the sacrifices made by veterans. It does not serve as a parking permit. Only individuals with a valid Disabled Person Parking Permit are allowed to park in spaces designated for disabled persons.
Will I be required to submit proof to DMV that I am an Oregon resident?
You and your family members will be required to provide proof of Oregon residency if you are applying for a renewal or replacement driver license, permit or identification card. Your Leave Earning Statement showing Oregon as your Home of Record will meet this requirement.
Can I add a designation on my license, permit or identification card to show that I am a veteran?
Yes, DMV will add a veteran designation on your card if you make your request known when you apply for an original, renewal, or replacement license, permit or identification card.  You will need to provide proof that you are a veteran (DD214 or DD215) before the designation will be added.

Related Information
Additional information that may be relevant includes: