Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Vehicle-related FAQs


  • How long do I have before I must file an accident report?
    72 hours.
  • What if the other person didn't have insurance?
    File a report with DMV.
Address Changes
  • How long before I must notify DMV of my address change?
    Within 30 days.
  • Is there a fee for an address change?
  • Do I have to get a new vehicle registration card with my new address?
    No, but you can get a new registration card for $5 with your new address printed on it if you want to.
DEQ/Emissions (Smog) Testing
  • What is the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ)?
    is a regulatory agency whose job is to protect the quality of Oregon’s environment.
  • Do I need to get my vehicle tested?
    If you live in the Portland or Medford metropolitan area you need to check if your vehicle must be tested.
  • Can I renew my registration (plates/tags) at DEQ?
    Yes, ONLY if the vehicle must also be tested for emissions.
  • What do I have to bring to DEQ to renew my registration while I’m there?
    Your renewal form and fees.
  • Can I get a vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection at DEQ?
    Yes, ONLY if the vehicle must also be tested for emissions.
  • Why do we need emissions testing?
    It is a cost-effective way to reduce air pollution and maintain good air quality.
Disabled Person Parking Permits
  • Where can I return a permit?
    To DMV, through the mail or at a DMV office. 
  • How long will my disabled person parking permit valid?
    Check out the parking permit page for more information.
  • Is there a fee for my disabled person parking permit?
  • If I move out of state, do I have to return my permit?
  • Is my out-of-state permit valid in Oregon?
  • Does my disabled veteran license plate let me to park in a disabled person parking space?
    No, you must have a valid disabled person parking permit.
  • How do I get a disabled person parking permit?
    Check out the parking permit page for more information.
  • Do I qualify for a disabled person parking permit? 
    You must meet the definition of a disabled person (ORS 801.387).
  • Can I pay using a credit or debit card?
  • Is there a list of all DMV fees? 
  • Who determines how much DMV charges?
    DMV’s fees are established and maintained by the Oregon legislature.
License Plates
  • How do I renew my registration (tags)?
    Online, by mail, at a DMV office, or at DEQ.
  • Can I transfer my license plate to a different vehicle?
  • What do I do if my plates are lost, damaged or destroyed?
    You can get replacement plates.
  • Can I get a sample license plate for education or other non-registration purposes?
  • How do I dispose of old license plates?
    Destroy/deface the month/year stickers, then check with your local recycling contact for aluminum recycling, or return them to DMV.
  • When is the best time to visit a DMV office?
    You can check current wait times online for many DMV offices.
  • How do I get a trip permit?
    Check out the trip permits page for more information.
  • How do I report drivers who are aggressive, intoxicated, medically at-risk or do not have a license?
    Check out the Report a Problem Driver page for more information.
  • I have a trip permit from another state, is it valid in Oregon?
  • If I give you a plate number, can you tell me who owns the vehicle?
    No, personal information is protected and only released to qualified entities (ORS 802.175-191).
  • What can I do about an abandoned vehicle?
    Check out the Vehicle Types page for more information.
  • My family member is deceased, how do I get a new title?
    Check out the titles page for more information.
  • How does my non-profit organization set up a Vehicle Donation Program?
    There are three different ways you can set up your program.
Other Vehicles
  • Are pocket bikes, mini-choppers or mini-motorcycles legal on Oregon public roads?
    No, they are manufactured for off-road use only.
  • Are scooters, mopeds, electric assisted bicycles and personal mobility devices legal on Oregon public roads?
    Some are legal if they meet specific definitions and restrictions in Oregon law.
  • I live in Oregon, do I have to title and register my snowmobile? 
    Yes, even to use on your own property.
  • I don't live in Oregon, what do I need to use my snowmobile here?
    A snowmobile trip permit is required and is valid for up to 60 days.
  • Do I have to pay late fees if my registration is expired?
    No, there are no registration late fees, regardless of how long your registration has been expired.
  • Can I title and register a vehicle I assembled myself?
  • Can I register my all-terrain vehicle (ATV)? 
    No, ATVs do not qualify for registration but you can get a title. You can get a permit from Oregon Parks and Recreation.
  • How do I title and register my vehicle?
    Check out the title and registration page for more information.
Vehicle Registration
Vehicle Titles
  • Do I need to change my address on my Oregon title?
    No, but you may apply and pay the title fee to get a title with your new address if you want to.
  • Can I change my name on my Oregon title?
  • Should I get a new title to take off my lienholder since I’ve paid off my loan?
    Yes, you are required to get a new title within 30 days.
  • Can I replace my lost title?
  • How long will it take to get my title?
    Usually 3-5 weeks, but it may take longer if there are processing delays.
  • What can I do if I have not received my title?
    Contact DMV.
  • How long before I must transfer a title into my name?
    30 days, additional fees may be required if you apply after 30 days.
  • My out-of-state title shows "junked" (or similar words), can get a title?
  • I bought a car and there is no title, what should I do?
    If it is an Oregon vehicle you will need to apply for a replacement title.
  • I bought a car from an Oregon dealer that is now out of business, how do I get a title?
    DMV cannot give legal advice, but there is information that may help you.
  • I sold my vehicle, what do I need to do?
    Notify DMV within 10 days.
  • My vehicle odometer shows kilometers, do I need to convert it to miles?
  • What do I do if my vehicle is totaled in an accident?
    You must give the title to DMV (or to the insurer) within 30 days of when you found out it was a total loss.
  • Do I need a vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection?
    Yes, if the vehicle has an out-of-state or out-of-country title, or is assembled, reconstructed or a replica.