To apply, you must provide DMV with a request that includes:
- Your name;
- Your address;
- Your driver license or ID card number, and state of issuance (if not Oregon);
- The year, make and model of the vehicle;
- Loaded weight*;
- The vehicle identification number (VIN)**; and
- Payment (check made out to "Oregon DMV" or money order).
** Proof of the VIN is required, if the vehicle is not titled in Oregon, or Oregon DMV has no record of the vehicle. Examples of acceptable proof of the VIN include:
- Vehicle registration card
- Insurance card or policy
- Sales contract
- Pencil tracing of the VIN
You can purchase DMV issued permits at DMV offices
located throughout the state, or from DMV headquarters by mail
. If submitting your request by mail, include a letter with all the requirements listed above.