Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Titling a Salvage Vehicle


This page provides information about titling a salvage vehicle.
Use the links below to go directly to any section:
General Information
If you have a vehicle from out of state that has been totaled and not rebuilt, you may apply for an Oregon salvage title.
Click here for information about damaged vehicles.
If your Oregon-titled vehicle has been declared totaled and you have kept the vehicle, you have 30 days to apply for either a salvage title or a reconstructed title.
If you have a vehicle from out of state that has been rebuilt, you may apply for a new title. The new title will show there was previous damage. Follow procedures for Titling an Out-of-State Vehicle if You Have the Title.
If an out-of-state vehicle has terms like "junked" on the title, DMV will not issue a title.
Click here for information on junked vehicles.

How to Apply
To apply for a salvage title, you must:
  • Fill out an Application for Salvage Title (Form 735-229):
  • Get the seller(s) to give you the current title or primary ownership document;
  • Provide releases of interest from previous owners using the:
  • Include odometer disclosure, if applicable, using the:
    • Back of title, or
    • Secure Odometer Disclosure/Reassignment form (contact DMV if you need a form);
  • Pay the salvage title fee ($27);
  • Submit your completed application, supporting materials and payment to DMV.
How to Submit Your Application
Mail your completed application, supporting documents, and payment to:
Oregon DMV
Salvage Titles
1905 Lana Ave NE
Salem, OR 97314
Make checks or money orders payable to “Oregon DMV."  
Note: Due to the added costs of merchant fees, DMV offices only accept cash or checks and do not accept credit or debit cards; however, ATMs are available at most offices.

Related Information