Purpose of Project
The purpose of the project is to improve safety and connectivity by constructing an east – west arterial in the south end of Bend and eliminating the traffic signals at the intersections of US 97 at Pinebrook Boulevard and US 97 at 3rd Street.
The overall cost estimate of transportation improvements needed in the US 97/Murphy Road area is $45 million. The first functional project, described below, is estimated to cost $25.1 million and is mostly funded by the Jobs and Transportation Act. Future projects in the area will be built using a variety of federal, state, local and private funding.
The project consists of an extension and realignment of Murphy Road from Parrell Road across US 97 to Brookswood Blvd. The road and bridge improvements include:
- A realignment of Murphy Road from 3rd Street (business US 97) east to Parrell Road.
- An extension of Murphy Road from 3rd Street (business US 97) west to Brookswood Blvd.
- A new bridge on Murphy Road that crosses over US 97 (Bend Parkway).
- A new southbound flyover bridge from 3rd Street to US 97. The new structure enables the traffic signal at the intersection of US 97 and 3rd Street to be removed which will resolve the existing safety issues at the intersection.
- Modification of accesses at 3rd Street/Murphy Road and US 97 and Pinebrook Blvd.
- A realignment of the existing northbound exit from US 97 to 3rd Street.
- Construction of a roundabout at the intersection of the new Murphy Road and 3rd Street.
- Construction of a roundabout at the intersection of Murphy Road and Brookswood Boulevard.
- Construction of a roundabout at the intersection of Murphy Road and Parrell Road.