Skip to main content

Vehicle Registration

Register Your Vehicle(s)

The Motor Carrier Transportation Division will only license the power units. Trailers are registered by DMV – Heavy Trailers.

Oregon Motor Carrier Registration and Tax Manual
Oregon´s Entry Policy for Tax and Registration Credentials
Oregon´s Entry Policy for Over-Dimension Loads
Entry Policy Exceptions for the Oregon/Washington Border at I-5

Electronic Credential Documents
  • The Motor Carrier Transportation Division allows drivers to carry and present electronic documents that are able to open in PDF or other legible form.
  • As of January 1, 2019 all Oregon enforcement agencies will accept legible digital copies from an electronic device.
Paper Documents
Only over-dimension route maps MUST be in paper form and carried in the vehicle.
Registration and Tax Credentials
Carriers operating vehicles in Oregon with a combined weight over 26,000 pounds must:
  • Have a valid temporary pass or Oregon Weight Receipt and Tax Identifier for each power unit.
  • Have a valid trip permit or proof of current Oregon commercial or apportioned registration.
  • Not exceed the weight listed on these documents without extended or weight increase credentials issued by MCTD.

Any motor carrier registered to operate in Oregon can apply for a password to access our secure Oregon Trucking Online website to register vehicles, check status, manage account information and more.

How Do I Set Up an Oregon Trucking Online Account?
  1. Set up an account with the Motor Carrier Transportation Division.
  2. Go to the Oregon Trucking Online website to Request a PIN.
  3. Follow the instructions on the PIN Request Form.
  4. The PIN Request Form must be signed by an Owner, Partner, LLC Member/Manager, Corporate Officer or someone possessing a Power of Attorney. The POA must be on file or attached or it will be returned.
  5. Fax or mail your PIN Request Form to the Motor Carrier Transportation Division.
  6. Upon Approval, you will receive a confirmation email with a temporary PIN password.
  7. Login to Oregon Trucking Online with your name, file number and temporary password and change to a
    permanent password.
Prorate registration is handled over-the-counter at Salem Headquarters and Jantzen Beach/Portland Bridge Offices.
Commercial Registration
Note: Proof of payment of HVUT is required for commercial registration of trucks weighing 55,000 pounds or more.
Out of State Registration
Used for motor carriers based outside of Oregon and already operating under an Oregon permit.
Apportioned Registration​
Used for Oregon-based motor carriers operating vehicles in other states.
Note: The Oregon Apportioned Registration Program made changes to how International Registration Applications are processed. The intent of the changes is to ensure we are adequately reviewing basing materials to comply with the International Registration Plan. We have provided a flyer that summarizes the application process for international operators.
Other Vehicle Registration

​​Motor carriers with vehicles over 26,000 pounds must register each vehicle at the heaviest loaded weight it will operate in Oregon during the year and pay an annual fee according to the following fee tables.

Oregon Registration Fees:
  • Heavy Motor Vehicle Registration Fee Table
  • Tow/Recovery and Manufactured Structure Toter Registration Fee Table

Interstate Registration Fees:

​Manufactured structure toters must be registered at the “fully equipped for service” weight, including tools, blocks, tractors, etc.

NOTE: The registration weight does not include the weight of a manufactured structure, a special use trailer or travel trailer.

Commercial Registration Application — Manufactured Structure Toter

Oregon-Based Motor Carriers
Trucks over 26,000 pounds combined weight display an ODOT truck license plate. Trucks that only operate within Oregon display an ODOT plate marked "Commercial" that begins with the letters Y C.

  • Trucks with a GVW of 10,000 to 26,000 pounds have a T-plate DMV.
  • Trucks with a GVW of 26,001 pounds or more have a YA-IRP Commercial plate.
Out of State Motor Carriers
Trucks are identified by the license plate issued by each carrier´s home state or province, usually under the International Registration Plan. Trucks that operate interstate display an ODOT plate marked "Apportioned" that begins with the letters Y A.
  • Trucks with a GVW of 26,000 pounds or less have a Little Y IRP plate.
Registration Stickers
Stickers on Oregon Commercial and Apportioned plates indicate the valid year but not month.
  • The plates are renewed annually and valid from January through December.
  • Contact our registration office if a sticker needs replacement.
Truck Identification
Federal law and state rules require you to display markings on each side of your truck power units showing:
  • The carrier's legal name or a single trade name of the business that owns or controls operations.
  • The carrier's U.S. DOT number.

​To operate in Oregon, motor carriers must submit:

  • Vehicle identification such as a:
    o Bill of sale.
    o Certificate of origin.
    o Out-of-state registration.
  • DEQ Certificate for the Portland and Medford Metro Areas if the vehicle is not diesel-powered.
  • An equipment lease, if applicable.

Contact Us

Salem Headquarters
Oregon Department of Transportation
Motor Carrier Transportation Division
3930 Fairview Industrial Drive SE
Salem OR 97302-1166
Phone: 503-378-6699
Jantzen Beach/Portland Bridge
I-5 and Oregon/Washington Border
12348 N. Center Ave.
Portland OR 97217-7871
Phone: 971-673-5900
Hours of Operation (Pacific Time)
Offices: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Monday through Friday
Phone Service Center
5 a.m. to 12 a.m.
Seven days a week

Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how