Athletic trainers prevent, recognize and evaluate athletic injuries and provide immediate care, rehabilitation and reconditioning services to athletes. Athletic trainers work in cooperation with physicians and other allied health personnel and function as an integral member of the athletic health care team at secondary schools, colleges and universities, sports medicine clinics, professional sports programs and other athletic health care settings.
What You Need to Know
Scope of Practice Questions
Do you have a question about how a law or rule impacts your individualized practice?
Please know that the Health Licensing Office (HLO) and its boards do not provide individualized advice on how the law applies to practice in the field. Here are some resources:
- If you are looking for an attorney to provide you with legal advice about the statutes and rules governing your licensure, the Oregon State Bar has information on how to hire a lawyer.
- If you wish to make a complaint against a person for violating HLO and the board's statutes or rules, you may use this complaint form.
- If you wish to make a public comment on the statutes and rules governing your licensure, interested party feedback is encouraged at all public meetings.
- Guidance on how to obtain a license is available.
- If you believe HLO and the board's rules need to be amended, you may file a rule petition with HLO for consideration. Please note that any rules must fit within HLO and the board's current statutory authority. Please also know that the board will consider your position but might not adopt your proposed rule. The statute that governs rule petitions is ORS 183.390.
- If you believe HLO and the board's statutes need to be amended, information about the legislative process is also available on the Oregon Legislature's website.
Please know the HLO and its boards remain neutral on substantive bills proposing changes to its laws and cannot act on your behalf in any proposals to change the governing statutes.
For licensing qualification questions, contact Qualifications Specialist Sarah Bye at 503-373-1989 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For policy questions, contact Policy Analyst Anne Thompson at 503-373-1904 or email@example.com.
For board recruitment questions, contact Paige Sims at 503-373-1915 or firstname.lastname@example.org.