Skip to the main content of the page


​Commercial contractor continuing education audits

On the first of every month, a portion of recently renewed contractors are randomly selected for continuing education audit. When you are audited, you will be asked to fill out a worksheet, and you may be required to send actual certificates. Each audit is for the previous two-year licensing cycle.

How do I report my hours?

Download the Continuing Education Worksheet and the Exemption Declaration (below) and send signed copies (both pages) to our office. The forms cannot be filled unless they are downloaded. 

If you are unable to download these forms from our website, send an email to  or call us at 503-934-2227 to have the forms sent to you by email. If all classes do not fit on one Continuing Education Worksheet, you may send as many copies as you need to report your hours.

Some contractors are also asked to send proof of continuing education (certificates of completion) with their forms. Your letter will indicate whether you are expected to send in your certificates or not. 

Please return your form to our office at:
Education Audits
PO Box 14140
Salem OR 97309

You may also scan your documents and email them to:

Or send your documents by fax to 503-373-2155.

How much continuing education do I need?

Level 1 commercial contractors:
During the audit, Level 1 commercial general and specialty contractors are asked to produce records of CE based on the number of key employees specified on the renewal form from 2 years ago. 
  • 5 or more key employees: 80 hours
  • 4 key employees: 64 hours
  • 3 key employees: 48 hours
  • 2 key employees: 32 hours
  • 1 key employee: 16 hours
Level 2 commercial contractors:
  • 32 hours 

Who can take continuing education?

Continuing education must be taken by key employees. Key employees are corporate officers, managers, superintendents, forepersons, lead persons and anyone else who supervises construction activities.

Multiple key employees may complete training. Example: three supervisory workers attend the same five-hour safety training. That counts as 15 hours' worth of continuing education.

What courses qualify?

Nearly any course taken by key employees to advance their business or trade may count. This includes but is not limited to classes offered by:
  • Community colleges, colleges, universities
  • Trade schools
  • Trade or business associations
  • Professional societies
  • Public agencies
  • In-house trainings, including safety meetings. You may be asked to produce a form with a date, name of provider, topic, sign-in sheet, and/or start and end times

Who is exempt from continuing education?

Some residential and commercial contractors with other Oregon licenses are exempt from continuing education. Here's a list:
  • Architects (if an owner or officer is an Oregon-licensed architect)
  • Developers
  • Engineers (if an owner or officer is an Oregon-licensed engineer)
  • Electricians (if an owner, officer or employee is an Oregon-licensed electrician)
  • Plumbers (if an owner, officer or employee is an Oregon-licensed plumber)
  • Boiler contractors
  • Elevator contractors
  • Renewable energy contractors
  • Pump installation contractors
  • LImited sign contractors
  • Landscape contractors who are construction contractors
  • Home inspectors (must still complete continuing education for the home inspector certification, but no longer for the CCB license)

Which state laws and rules can I refer to for more information about education?

ORS 701.086: This state law outlines minimum continuing education requirements for level 1 and level 2 commercial contractors, requires contractors to certify continuing education hours when renewing, and requires contractors to keep records of education.

ORS 701.098: This state law authorizes license suspension for violating regulations, including a rule or order of the board, and for knowingly providing false information to the board.

OAR 812-020-0072: This rule requires contractors to keep records of key employee participation in continuing education for at least 24 months after renewal, allows the agency to request to see the records, and authorizes license suspension for failure to comply.