Skip to the main content of the page


How many hours do y​ou need?

Unless exempt, all re​sidential contractors need the following continuing education every two-year license period: 

  • 3 hours of CCB laws, regulations and business practices classes 
  • 5 hours of other approved courses (see catalog below) if you have been licensed by the CCB six or more  years OR
  • 13 hours of other approved courses (see catalog below) if you have been licensed by the CCB less than six years
Note: You will not get credit for more than three hours of CCB classes.

Where can I sign up for CCB laws, regulations and business practices (LRB) classes?

There are two ways to satisfy the requirement:

Where can I find approved classes?

Generally, only courses listed in the Course Catalog on this website are approved for credit. 

The exception: Courses from accredited colleges and universities or state or federal government agencies. These courses may not be listed in the Course Catalog. However, if they pertain to business practices or help you improve your trade and are at least an hour in length, the CCB  accepts them for credit.

Home Inspectors

Home inspectors must perform continuing education specific for their license. If you are a home inspector, see our page for home inspector continuing education to find classes.

Who is approved to offer classes​?

Many contractors get advertisements from businesses offering continuing education. This is a list of businesses and other groups that the CCB approved to offer courses. ​

How does the CCB track cre​dits?

The CCB only has records of the three hours of courses you take from us. 

You may need to send the CCB course completion certificates from courses you take through other approved providers. Some course providers notify us when you complete a course; others do not. If you are uncertain, ask the education provider or send the certificate to the CCB.

Send course completion proof to​. Make sure your CCB number is on the certificate or in the email!

You may send the certificates as soon as you complete the class or wait until closer to renewal. However, residential contractors cannot renew a license until the CCB has proof they met the continuing education requirements. 

Contractors who mail in license renewal forms may submit certificates at that time.

Licensed for commercial and residential work?

Contractors licensed for both commercial and residential work are subject only to the commercial education requirements. 


Expired or lapsed license​?

If your license expired or lapsed (lack of bond or insurance) more than two years ago, do not take continuing education classes. You must re-apply for a license and take the pre-license training and test. Call the CCB at 503-378-4621.

Who is exempt from continuing education?

    Some residential and commercial contractors with other Oregon licenses are exempt from CCB continuing education. Here's a list:

    • Architects (if an owner or officer is an Oregon-licensed architect)
    • Developers
    • Engineers (if an owner or officer is n Oregon-licensed engineer)
    • Electricians (if an owner, officer or employee is an Oregon-licensed electrician)
    • Plumbers (if an owner, officer or employee is an Oregon-licensed plumber)
    • Boiler contractors
    • Elevator contractors
    • Renewable energy contractor
    • Pump installation contractors
    • Limited sign contractors
    • Landscape contractors who are construction contractors
    • Home inspectors (must still complete continuing education for the home inspector certification but no longer for the CCB license)


​​​​​​​Education help

Course catalog​​

The catalog is the best way to find approved classes. 

Email course complete certificates

Send these to Include your CCB number.

CCB classes