Skip to the main content of the page


Licensing requirements for construction flagging contractors 

Effective July 1, 2017, construction flagging contractors must be licensed with the Construction Contractors Board.

Per ORS 701.470, a construction flagging contractor is a person or business who employs, contracts with, or obtains through a worker leasing company, one or more individuals to act as construction flaggers.

Construction flaggers are individuals who, for compensation, direct the flow of motor vehicle traffic on a public roadway to prevent conflict between the flow of traffic and construction activity on or near the roadway. It is not an individual performing work for the federal government or a public body (as defined in ORS 174.109.)

A construction flagging contractor may not engage in any other construction activities.

Who doesn't need this license

  • A business regulated by the Public Utility Commission.
  • A construction business is not required to obtain a construction flagging contractor license if it is already licensed as a commercial contractor or a residential general contractor.

How to apply

An applicant for a construction flagging contractor license must submit all of these:

  • A completed Construction Flagging Contractor application and fee 
  • A construction flagging contractor surety bond in the amount of $20,000 
  • ​A general liability insurance policy in an amount of not less than $500,000.