Skip to the main content of the page


​Licensing requirements for construction flagging contractors 

Effective July 1, 2017, construction flagging contractors must be licensed with the Construction Contractors Board.

Per ORS 701.470, a construction flagging contractor is a person or business who employs, contracts with, or obtains through a worker leasing company, one or more individuals to act as construction flaggers.

Construction flaggers are individuals who, for compensation, direct the flow of motor vehicle traffic on a public roadway to prevent conflict between the flow of traffic and construction activity on or near the roadway. It is not an individual performing work for the federal government or a public body (as defined in ORS 174.109.)

A construction flagging contractor may not engage in any other construction activities.

Who doesn't need this license

  • A business regulated by the Public Utility Commission.
  • A construction business is not required to obtain a construction flagging contractor license if it is already licensed as a commercial contractor or a residential general contractor.

How to apply

An applicant for a construction flagging contractor license must submit all of these:

  • A completed Construction Flagging Contractor application and fee 
  • A construction flagging contractor surety bond in the amount of $20,000 
  • ​A general liability insurance policy in an amount of not less than $500,000.