COVID-19 Temporary Paid Leave Program
The Oregon Legislature’s Emergency Board established the
COVID-19 Temporary Paid Leave Program to help bridge the gap left by the Families First Coronavirus Relief Act. This $30 million program was established with money received from the federal government to help Oregon respond to the COVID-19 pandemic.
If you need to quarantine or self-isolate because of COVID-19 exposure or are experiencing symptoms, but do not qualify for COVID-19-related paid sick leave (or do not have access to COVID-19-related paid time off), this program may help provide financial assistance.
If you meet all the eligibility requirements, you will get a $120 per-day payment, up to 10 working days ($1,200 total) for the time you need to quarantine of isolate.
This program is only for workers unable to work because they need to quarantine or isolate and their employer does not provide COVID-19-related paid time off. You may not qualify if you don’t work in Oregon or meet the income requirements; you have COVID-19-related paid time off; you received unemployment benefits for the time off due to quarantine; or you received workers’ compensation benefits for the time off due to quarantined.
To be eligible for the program, you must meet all the following requirements:
- Work in Oregon and required to file an Oregon personal income tax return.
- Directed to quarantine by a local or tribal public health authority or health care provider because of exposure to someone infected or have COVID-19-related symptoms and are seeking a medical diagnosis.
- Not able to work (including telework) because you need to quarantine or isolate.
- Do not expect to earn more than $60,000 individually or $120,000 jointly in 2020.
- Your employer does not provide COVID-19-related paid sick leave or you have exhausted your available COVID-19-related paid sick leave.
- Are not applying for unemployment insurance benefits for the time off due to quarantine or isolation.
- Are not applying for workers’ compensation benefits for the time off due to quarantine or isolation or experiencing COVID-19 symptoms.
- Are not seeking or using benefits from similar COVID-19 quarantine relief programs in Oregon or another state.
- Are not applying for or receiving other forms of paid leave from your employer during your quarantine or isolation, such as banked sick leave or vacation leave.
- Are not laid off or furloughed by your employer.
- Must have notified your employer that you need to quarantine or isolate.
- Can claim only one quarantine period.
Note: Because there are limited funds available, this program is limited to only those quarantine periods that were in place during or after the effective date of Sept. 16, 2020. The program will end when all the funds have been distributed or by Dec. 31, 2020, whichever comes first.
Since this is a new program and we don’t know the volume of applications we will receive each day, we are not sure how long it will take to process these claims.
Our goal is to have claims processed as soon as possible, but verifying applicant information could take longer. For example, the verification process might include reviewing applicant tax records or employment data; contacting the employer; and contacting the local or tribal public health authority or health care provider.
We may also review unemployment claims and workers’ compensation records if we determine that someone did not meet eligibility requirements or provided false information. In those cases, applicants will be responsible to repay all funds they received.
Approved applicants will receive a check in the mail, and the money is taxable.