About background checks
To be eligible for payment from the Oregon Department of Human Services (ODHS), all providers and others in the household or facility who will have access to children in care must pass a background check. The background check is done by the
Early Learning Division Office of Child Care.
Who needs a background check
Background checks are required for all of the following people who are
18 years old or older:
- You (the provider)
- All employees and staff who work in the child care facility
- Substitute caregivers who provide care when the primary caregivers are not available
- All members of the household where care is provided, including the parent, if the parent and provider live together
- All visitors who may have unsupervised access to children in care in the place where care is provided
Anyone who needs a background check must be listed on the
Child Care Provider Listing form.
- If you don't list everyone who is required, your application will be failed. That means you will not be eligible for payment. You may have to repay payments you have already received.
- Each person listed
must sign to authorize the background check or the form will be returned.
For more information on background checks, please visit the
Central Background Check Registry webpage.
Contact the Early Learning Division
700 Summer St NE, Ste 350
Salem, OR 97301