Independent Living Program

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​On December 27, 2020, the Consolidated Appropriations Act (CAA) was passed by Congress. The CAA was passed because young people like you who have experienced foster care advocated for relief aid during the COVID-19 pandemic. Their voices were heard and Oregon is excited to be able to provide these services and supports for young people who are in or have experienced foster care. These additional supports include: 
  • Additional funding for education under Chafee Education and Training Voucher (ETV) 
  • Additional Young Adult Transitional supports
  • Expanded Independent Living Program supports

Currently, under the CAA, these additional supports will be accessible until September 30, 2021. Funds available are based on need and intended to assist those young people who have been negatively affected by the COVID pandemic.​ We encourage you to apply as soon as you can. To apply, please feel go to​ to fill out an application. You can also e-mail or call 503-717-1552. More information on eligibility is available below. 

Chafee ETV

  • ​Young people through age 26 (up to their 27th birthday) who experienced foster care when they were age 14 or older (with ODHS, an Oregon Tribal Nation, or in another state). 
    • The five-year eligibility cap remains in effect.  
    • Applies to young people who were in foster care on or after their 14th birthday. 
  • Young people meeting the above criteria, who are now on academic suspension or expulsion due to the COVID-19 pandemic, may receive ETV assistance if it will assist them with remaining or returning to their post-secondary education or training program.   
  • ​​Chafee ETV funds will be increased from $2,500 to $5,000 per student through the Office of Student Access and Completion (OSAC).  
    • The March 1 deadline has been removed. You can apply for these funds through the OSAC website​.  
  • Students may access up to an additional $7,000 to assist with costs other than Cost of Attendance if it will help them remain or return to their post-secondary education/training program.   
    • Additional funds requested will be issued based on need and available funding. 
  • Funding can also cover costs of basic needs such as:
    • Food
    • Housing
    • Transportation
    • supplies (laptop, internet, etc.).  

*The $12,000 ETV cap will remain in place for the 2021-2022 academic year (ending Summer Term 2022). All other flexibilities will end September 30, 2021.   
  • ​​For the $5,000 go through your school or training facility. Directions can be found on the OSAC website​
  • For additional funding over $5,000, please send requests and contact the Youth Transition Programs at with a subject line of: COVID ETV. 

Young Adult Transitional Supports 

  • ​Young people who have exited foster care from ages 18 up to their 24th birthday. ​

  • ​Emergency cash to support housing. 
    • Examples: transitional living program (limited access), rent assistance, housing application and move-in fees
  • Navigation for Employment 
    • Examples: work clothing, equipment, resume writing assistance, connection to employment programs
  • Transportation funding
    • Examples: bus pass, car payment/repairs, insurance payment, bike repairs/purchase.  (Note: this does not cover tickets or fines.  ODHS cannot co-sign for a loan or be on your automobile insurance policy)
  • Education 
    • Examples: Connections to Education and Training Voucher (ETV), books, supplies including laptop and internet payments
  • Miscellaneous expenses you may have accrued as a result of COVID 
    • Examples: loans, credit card debt, medic​al bills, etc.
  • ​You can contact the Oregon Child Abuse Hotline (Hotline) at 1-855-503-7233 to request services. If you would like support in contacting the Hotline, a supportive adult or agency representative can call with/for you.  When you contact the ODHS hotline. You will press the number 1 when the automated response starts. That will get you past the abuse reporting line to a screener who can assist you. Please use this statement when you tell them why you are calling, “I am a former foster youth and I am calling to request a Family Support Services-ILP case to access Young Adult Transitional services due to COVID-19.”  
  • Please make sure to have the following information available when you call:
    • Your full legal name, if your name has changed since in foster care, please provide the name used while in foster care and the name you currently use.
    • Your date of birth.
    • Your contact information, address and/or county of residence.
    • Age you exited out of foster care.
    • The type of support and services you hope to receive.

Expanded Independent Living Program ​

  • ​Young people ages 16 or older who are currently in ODHS or Tribal foster care
  • Young people ages 16 to 23 with substitute care placement after age 14  
  • ​Supports to become self-sufficient and independent 
    • ILP Coach
    • Life skills training, such as: financial literacy/money management, resume writing, job search, employment maintenance, support with applying for OHP, assistance with knowing how and where to apply for various education grants and scholarships; and miscellaneous skills for successful adult living
    • Assistance with requesting funds to support your plan, such as:  work clothing or special equipment; housing funding (must meet Chafee Housing eligibility criteria)

  • ILP Discretionary Funds

*On July 1, 2021, some Expanded ILP services and eligibility requirements will change. Please check back for updates. 
 ​Expanded Chafee​ ILP Funding
  • ​​​Young people ages 14 or older who are currently in ODHS or Tribal foster care 
  • Young people ages 14 to 27 with substitute care placement after age 14 and who had at least 180 days of substitute care placement services after age 13.   
  • ​​Funding assistance for: 
    • Emergency cash to support housing  
    • Transportation funding 
    • Employment (clothing/equipment) 
    • Miscellaneous expenses to help support independence  

  • If you are currently in foster care, you can contact your: 
    • current Child Welfare caseworker or, 
    • current ILP worker or,  
  • If you are were formerly in foster care sometime after the age of 14, contact​  and you will be sent a funding application to complete and submit.  

​ *Eligibility for ILP funding will change effective September 30, 2021 Please check back for updates.