Independent Living Program

For many youth aging out of Oregon's foster care system, college is simply not a financial reality.

The Chafee Education and Training Grant, Tuition and Fee Waivers, and other financial aid at the state and federal level ensure that foster youth will have access to higher education.​

Federal Assistance

FAFSA (Free Application For Federal Student Aid) - Applying for federal student aid is quicker and easier than ever. This is the key to additional funding - if you want to receive the Chafee ETG, Oregon Opportunity Grant (OOG), Tuition and Fee Waiver or other scholarships you must fill out and submit the FAFSA application.

Please see attached for OSAC’s FAFSA Rejection and Verification Fact Sheet​​

Federal Student Aid Programs

The following types of aid available to help you pay for your education after high school.

  • Grants - student aid funds that do not have to be repaid (other conditions apply).
  • Work-Study - a part-time work program to earn money while you are in school.

Types of federal student loans:

Independent Student College Cost Reduction and Access Act

Provisions of the College Cost Reduction and Access Act: Effective July 1, 2009. The definition of independent student adds emancipated minor and being in a legal guardianship to the definition of independent student. It also changes the orphan or ward of the court until age 18 to be orphan or ward of the court or in foster care at any time on or after 13 years of age.

State Assistance/Scholarship Information

Other Helpful Links