Government & Researchers

What we do

The Other Agency Accounts (OAA) unit collects delinquent debt for more than 280 state agencies, boards, and commissions, including circuit courts and a wide variety of educational and regulatory agencies.

If you've received a notice from the Department of Revenue about your debt with another agency, please contact us as soon as possible. If you need more information, the questions and answers below may help. If you have a question not answered here, email​. ​

If you need specific information on how to pay off debt so you can reinstate your license, then follow the steps on the License Reinstatement Program​ page. 

Q: I don't think I owe the debt shown on my notice. What do I do?

​A: If you don't believe you owe this debt, please contact the agency listed in your demand to pay letter. We can't resolve any disputes about the source of the debt.

Q: ​How do I pa​y?

A: There are two ways you can pay:​
  • Online: Pay electronically using your credit or debit card or bank account through Revenue Online.
  • By mail: Pay by mail with a check, money order, or cashier's check. Please include the voucher included in your demand to pay letter or statement of account, so we can apply your payment correctly. You can also download a blank voucher.

Q: ​What if I can't pay ​now?

A: You can set up a payment plan to pay in installments. If you choose to make payments over time instead of paying in full, we may still issue a distraint warrant to ensure your account is paid in full.
  • You can set up your own payment plan using Revenue Online​.
  • If you are unable to qualify for a payment plan on Revenue Online, call us at (503) 945-8199 or toll-free at (877) 222-2346.
  • If your license is suspended and you can’t pay in full, you may be eligible for our Driver & License Reinstatement program.

Q: ​What happens if I don't p​ay in full?​

A: You must pay your debt in full or set up a payment plan within 10 days of the date on your demand to pay letter.

If you don't pay your debt in full within 10 days, state law authorizes us to issue a "distraint warrant" for the total amount of debt owed. This isn't an arrest warrant, but it does allow us to take additional steps to collect the debt that you owe. Depending on the type of debt, these additional steps may include:
  • Garnishment of your wages and bank accounts. Certain income, such as Social Security or disability payments, is protected from garnishment.
  • Keeping your state refund or other payments and apply those amounts toward your debt.
  • Taking your federal refunds or other payments and apply those amounts toward your debt. A federal offset fee is charged each time we receive a federal offset.
  • Assigning your debt to a private collection agency. If you're required to pay for the cost of collection, this will increase the amount you owe.
Make a payment now

​Contact us

Phone: (503) 945-8199 or
(877) 222-2346
Asistencia disponible en español
Fax: (503) 947-2050
En español:​