Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Armed Security Professional

What are the minimum standards for an Armed Private Security professional?

Be at least 21 years of age; and
  • Must have earned one of the following:
  • A high school diploma; a General Education Development (GED) certificate; or a four-year, post-secondary degree issued by an accredited degree-granting college or university.
Be of good moral fitness as determined by a criminal background check, department investigation or other reliable sources. A lack of good moral fitness includes, but is not limited to, mandatory and discretionary disqualifying misconduct as described in OAR 259-060-0300. Security professionals must demonstrate the Core Values of:
Good Character
Public Trust
Fair Treatment of Others
Respect for the laws of this state and nation
Here is the link to the Criminal Disqualifiers.


Additionally, an app​licant for certification as an armed private security professional or firearms instructor must not:

Have been committed to the Mental Health and Development Disability Services Division under ORS 426.130, or similar order in another jurisdiction;

  • Have been found to be mentally ill and subject to an order under ORS 426.130 prohibiting the person from purchasing or possessing a firearm as a result of that mental illness;
  • Be prohibited under US Code Title 18, Section 922(g)(8) (relating to civil restraining orders including stalking or harassment) from possessing a firearm in interstate commerce; or
  • Be prohibited under any law of this state or any federal law from purchasing, owning or possessing a firearm.



Back to Top

What training is required for Armed Private Security?

Basic training


  • Basic Unarmed course (14 hours); and
  • Basic firearms course as defined in OAR 259-060-0060 which consists of a minimum 24 hours of basic armed instruction, a written examination, safe gun handling test and marksmanship qualification.


Refresher training


  • The Armed annual refresher course consists of a minimum of four hours including the armed refresher course and exam and firearms marksmanship requalification.
  • In addition to the annual refresher course, armed private security professionals must complete an unarmed renewal training biennially.
  • Armed private security professionals who fail to complete the armed annual refresher course must complete the 24-hours of basic firearms instruction before reissuance of certification.


Back to Top

What forms do I need to submit for an Armed Private Security certification?

Applicants must complete an application packet containing:

  1. PS-1 (Application for Licensure or Certification of Private Security Services Provider);
  2. A completed fingerprint card. The Department will supply pre-printed FBI fingerprint cards.  Proof of completing Fieldprint electronic fingerprints is also acceptable.
  3. The original Form PS-6 (Affidavit of Instructor and Private Security Provider Testing Results) completed as prescribed by OAR 259-060-0060; documenting completion of the training required.
  4. PS-27 Code of Ethics form
  5. Nonrefundable certification or licensure fees.
Link to forms and fees​
Back to Top

How do I find an Armed Private Security Instructor?

Here is the link to the Instructor List
Back to Top

How long after I submit my paperwork, will I receive my Armed card?

It depends on a number of things such as the fingerprint scanning results and FBI background check. Generally it takes about 1-2 months.
Please don't call DPSST to check on your status, instead check your status using IRIS.
Back to Top

What forms do I need to submit when renewing my Armed Private Security certification?

All applicants for certification or licensure must complete an application packet containing:
  1. A completed Form PS-21;
  2. The original Form PS-6 completed, documenting completion of the training required;
  3. Nonrefundable certification or licensure fee.
Link to forms and fees​​
Back to Top

How do I add a new certification to my current certification card?

Application packet for adding certification or licensure as a private security provider must be completed in its entirety and must include:

1. A completed Form PS-1;

2. The original Form PS-6 completed, documenting completion of the training required;

3. Nonrefundable certification or licensure fee as prescribed by OAR 259-060-500.

4. Individuals currently certified as an unarmed private security provider applying to add armed private security certification must carry a copy of the Form PS-6 and the Form PS-23 (Change of Information) while performing private security services until a new card is received.

Link to forms and fees​​

Back to Top

I received a Deficiency Notice - what does it mean?

Click here for information on Deficiency Notices.
Back to Top