PFMLI Implementation Program Timeline
Oregon Revised Statute chapter 657B (ORS chapter 657B) was enacted in 2019, creating a Paid Family and Medical Leave Insurance (PFMLI) program housed
within the Oregon Employment Department. The PFMLI program provides employees with compensated time off from work to care for and bond with a child
during the first year of the child’s birth or arrival through adoption or foster care; to provide care for a family member who has a serious health condition; to
recover from an employee’s own serious health condition; and to take leave related to domestic violence, stalking, sexual assault or harassment (safe leave).
The timeline allows us to:
- Adequately develop policy and administrative rules prior to collecting contributions from employees and employers and paying benefits to eligible
- Build a modernized technology platform that serves both unemployment insurance (UI) taxes and PFMLI contributions, which would significantly
improve customer experience by permitting employers to utilize a single system.
- Afford time for adequate planning and preparation by partner agencies responsible for components of the program.
- Review and process employer equivalent plan applications using our new technology, avoiding the need for a separate manual process.
- Involve user groups in substantial testing of the contributions technology solution prior to go-live, which would allow for a smoother rollout.
- Stabilize rollout, ensure staff are prepared to effectively serve customers, and improve the customer experience.