Skip to the main content of the page

Claimant Handbook

If you’re working part-time and earn less than your weekly benefit amount, you may be eligible to receive benefits. You must also continue to seek, and be willing to accept temporary, full-time, and part-time work during each week you continue to claim.


If you are working less than full time, you may claim benefits if:

      Your part-time employer doesn’t have full-time work for you,

      Your gross earnings are less than your weekly benefit amount, and

      You’re seeking work, available and willing to accept full-time, part-time, permanent AND temporary work.​​

You must report any payments you receive in exchange for any services you provide or products you sell. This includes:

      Gross earnings


      Non-cash payments such as room and board

      Tips, bonuses, stand-by pay, sick pay

      Commission pay, and

      Vacation and holiday pay.

Exceptions: You don’t need to report as earnings:

      Lump sum payout of accrued vacation pay if it is paid to you to “clear the books” – you will not be returning to work.

      Reimbursements for minor expenses such as meals, lodging, mileage and other traveling expenses

      Weekend military drill pay, or

      Jury duty pay. 

Call the UI Center if you have questions about what to report or how to report cash and non-cash earnings.​​

You report your hours and earnings when you file your weekly claim. Keep track of your hours and earnings for each week. Report your earnings for the week you perform the work, NOT the week you’re paid.


IMPORTANT: Failing to accurately report your earnings while claiming could result in overpayments and penalties. (See Fraud)


If you realize your earnings are different than what you reported, contact the UI Center.​

You won’t receive benefits if your gross earnings for a week exceed your weekly benefit amount or you work 40 hours or more during the week claimed.


You may earn up to 10 times minimum wage or one-third of your weekly benefit amount (whichever is more) before your benefits are affected. Any earnings above that amount will reduce your benefit payment dollar for dollar. You MUST report all earnings each week you claim benefits. (See Fraud)


REPORT ALL EARNINGS: Even if your gross earnings for the week are less than your weekly benefit amount, you must report your gross earnings when you claim the week. (See Fraud)


Willfully misreporting your work and earnings to obtain benefits is Fraud.  (See Fraud)​

When you return to full-time work or earn at least your weekly benefit amount, simply stop claiming.


If you begin to work or start a new job during a week you’re claiming, be sure to report your gross earnings, even if you haven’t been paid yet. Often you can calculate your gross earnings by taking your hourly pay rate multiplied by the number of hours worked during the week. Don’t forget to also include any other pay such as tips, sick pay, holiday, etc.​

Fraud is the intentional misreporting or withholding of information in order to get benefits. If you intentionally hide or report wrong information, it is fraud. FRAUD IS A CRIME and can result in penalties up to and including prosecution.

Some examples that could be fraud:

      Not reporting work you miss or jobs you turn down

      Providing false information or withholding information to get benefits

      Failing to report all of your earnings when filing for weekly benefits

      Not reporting your job separation accurately (see Reporting separations from work)

      Filing for weekly benefits while you were in jail


Intentionally under-reporting or not reporting earnings when you file for weekly benefits is fraud. Only YOU are authorized to file your claim for benefits. Don’t allow another person to file for weekly benefits including your spouse, child, parent or friend. You will be held responsible for any false information that is provided.


The Oregon Employment Department (OED) uses a variety of ways to verify the accuracy of UI payments including but not limited to:

      Verification of earnings with employers,

      Anonymous tips and public leads, and

      National new hire reporting system information from employers.


If you have questions, call the UI Center at (877) 345-3484.​​

If you quit your job, or were fired, you may still be eligible for benefits. Being fired or quitting work doesn’t automatically make you ineligible for benefits.


Oregon law requires that you’re out of work due to no fault of your own in order to be eligible for benefits. Below are descriptions of work separations.


Lack of work – You were laid off from your employer because the employer didn’t have any work for you to perform. This could be a business closure, reduction in staff, holiday or a temporary/maintenance shutdown.


Leave of absence – You’re on a leave of absence if your employer allowed you time away from work. This can include maternity leave, medical leave, or leave for other personal reasons. If you’re on a leave of absence with your employer, your work separation is NOT a lack of work.


Voluntary leaving work – You’ve voluntarily left work if the employer had continuing work available for you but you chose to end the employment relationship (quit). If you quit one job for another job, you’ve voluntarily left work.


Discharge/Terminated – You were discharged if the employer had continuing work available but wouldn’t allow you to continue working for them (fired, let go, terminated). You must also report if you’ve been suspended by your employer.


Reporting the wrong type of separation from work can cause an overpayment, penalties, and be considered fraud.​​

From September 6, 2020, through January 1, 2022, Oregon Senate Bill 1701 allowed claimants to earn $300 before their weekly benefits were reduced. This rule applied to all programs. However, claimants could not work more than 39 hours or earn equal to or more than their weekly benefit amount.

From May 23, 2021, through January 1, 2022, Oregon House Bill 3178 allowed some claimants to receive benefits if their earnings were equal to or exceeded their weekly benefit amount. ​




​​Download the complete Claimant Handbook as a PDF:

​Unemployment Insurance Contact Center: 

TOLL FREE: (877) 345-3484


Weekly Claim Line Number:

TOLL FREE: (800) 982-8920

TTY Relay Service 711​​​​​


PO Box 14135

Salem OR 97309-5068

Fax: (866) 345-1878​​