What is the Modernization Program?
The Employment Department’s Modernization
Program is a multi-year initiative focused on transforming the agency’s
business processes and core technology systems. Computer systems supporting receipt of Unemployment Insurance (UI) taxes and contributions for Paid Leave Oregon, the new Paid Family and Medical Leave program, payment of UI and Paid Leave benefits, and delivery of employment services will be replaced or established. We are excited to see business
processes transformed to take advantage of opportunities and benefits
available through new system capabilities.
The program’s focus includes the agency’s business processes, infrastructure, and applications. This will include service delivery updates, business process re-engineering, and technical infrastructure solutions.
Our goals of the Modernization Program include:
- Ensuring we can provide services that Oregonians and Oregon businesses need. As an increasing number of our staff retire, we need to look toward more flexible and adaptable systems.
- Providing more modern and personalized services to businesses and job seekers; things like online self-service and mobile technology.
- Providing more efficient and adaptable systems that allow us to quickly adapt to our customer's needs. We want to be able to update and improve our processes as requirements change.
- Sharing data in a secure way with our partners, using technologies that integrate security and access management using a streamlined threat response.
- Providing technology that is flexible to expand and support new programs. We seek to deliver systems capable of supporting new programs and functionality needs.
The Modernization Program touches every aspect of our agency from processes to people. The program will be a series of projects; some will overlap business areas and some may be isolated to just one area. Either way, it will transform the way we do business with Oregonians and Oregon businesses. We are considering business needs and technology solutions from an agency-wide perspective and approaching the process carefully and iteratively — learning and adapting as we go to help the agency better serve our customers in the future.