Executive Order on Carbon Reduction
Executive Order 20-04
Supporting Research and Analysis
The reports and analysis below informed the development of the Oregon Climate Action Program in HB 2020B in 2018 and 2019, and the Oregon Greenhouse Gas Initiative in SB 1530 introduced in the 2020 regular session.
Emissions Intensive / Trade Exposed Industries reports from Vivid Economics
Market Design Reports Prepared for Carbon Policy Office
Economic Overview of Carbon Pricing
- This memo, produced by economic consulting firm Resources for the Future for the Carbon Policy Office, summarizes experience and economic analysis on which to build carbon pricing in Oregon and identifies important lessons from economic work in the field of carbon pricing.
Market Design for Carbon Pricing
- This memo, produced by economic consulting firm Resources for the Future for the Carbon Policy Office, identifies key elements of cap and trade market design based on experience in existing emissions trading programs and analysis of policy literature.
Economic Impact Reports from BEAR Analytics
- This final report developed by Bear Economics examines alternative cap-and-trade policy scenarios that could achieve the 2050 reduction goal, assessing their economic impacts and implications for economic growth.
Carbon Policy Economic Modeling: Inception Report
- Berkeley Economic Advising and Research (BEAR) produced this Inception Report documenting and confirming main component methods, information resources, and deliverables for the project on Carbon Policy Economic Modeling.
Greenhouse Gas Emissions Measurement and Tracking
Greenhouse Gas Emissions Data
- The Department of Environmental Quality compiled greenhouse gas emissions data for Oregon by industry sector from 1990-2016 at the request of the Carbon Policy Office.
How Oregon Measures and Tracks Emissions
- Oregon’s Greenhouse Gas Reporting Program requires reporting of greenhouse gas emissions in certain sectors to measure and track statewide greenhouse gas emissions.
Low Income Utility Working Group Reports
Inventory of Low-Income Utility Programs
- Oregon Housing and Community Services has compiled an inventory of the low-income assistance programs operated by the state or utilities related to rate assistance, weatherization, or other upgrades. This work is part of the Low-Income Utility Program Working Group convened by the Public Utility Commission and Oregon Housing and Community Services at the request of the Carbon Policy Office.
Low Income Utility Work Group Final Report
- Led by Oregon Housing and Community Services and the Public Utility Commission, this group examined current programs for low-income utility customers and identify needs and opportunities for new or improved programs in light of carbon regulation and changing federal support for low-income programs.
Health Impacts of Climate Change on Oregon Communities
2018 OHA Climate and Health Paper Final
- The Oregon Health Authority (OHA) prepared this white paper on Climate Change and Public Health in Oregon. This study analyzes communities' vulnerability to the adverse health effects of climate change and consider which climate mitigation and adaptation strategies yield the most health co-benefits.
Study of Forest Carbon Stocks: Oregon Department of Forestry
The Oregon Department of Forestry is leading efforts on Forest carbon sequestration
to establish an inventory of forest carbon stocks and flows in Oregon, evaluate the amount of carbon in wood products, and identify opportunities to enhance forest carbon sequestration and storage. Follow this link to learn more about Forest Carbon Accounting
Natural and Working Lands
Natural and Working Lands Work Group Summary
- Led by the Carbon Policy Office with support from the Oregon Watershed Enhancement Board, Oregon Department of Forestry, and Oregon Department of Agriculture, this group discussed methods to enhance the carbon storage/sequestration capacity of our natural and working landscapes, with a specific focus on offset protocols and direct investment opportunities.
Briefing Memo on Offset Policy Design
- Prepared by a group of offset project developers, this memo outlines recommended changes to offset policy design and speaks to forestry offset policies specifically.
Framework for Carbon Sequestration and Adaptation Incentives in Agriculture
- Prepared by staff of the Oregon Department of Agriculture and Oregon Watershed Enhancement Board, this document summarizes ways to incent carbon sequestration and reduction on natural and working lands. It outlines possible ideas for a granting process, eligible strategies and practices for incentives, options for administration of the program, and resources to assist with estimating mitigation and adaptation benefits.
Climate Change Research
Whitepaper on Implications of Carbon Pricing for Highway Cost Allocation
Highway Cost Allocation Study
- The Oregon Department of Administrative Services (DAS) contracted ECONorthwest to conduct prepare a report on interactions between carbon pricing proceeds, transportation investments, and the state’s highway cost-sharing requirements.
Previously Conducted Studies and Research
Considerations for Designing a Cap-and-Trade Program in Oregon study - In March 2016, the Oregon Legislature directed the Department of Environmental Quality to study considerations for implementing a market-based greenhouse gas (GHG) reduction program in Oregon, including general policy design necessary to achieve Oregon’s statewide GHG reduction goals, methods to design a program to minimize negative effects on businesses, disadvantaged communities and rural parts of the state, and how the program would interact with Oregon’s existing climate policies.
Economic and Emissions Impacts of a Clean Air Tax or Fee in Oregon (SB306) - The Oregon Legislature passed Senate Bill 306 during its 2013 Regular Session, which directed the Legislative Revenue Office (LRO) to conduct a study of the economic and greenhouse gas emissions impacts of implementing a clean air tax or fee in Oregon. LRO contracted Portland State University’s Northwest Economic Research Center (NERC) to conduct the analysis.