REMARKS AS PREPARED
July 7, 2015
I am so pleased to be invited to extend my thanks to you today.
• Visitors Services’ volunteers serve as the Capitol’s ambassadors for the more than 18,000 people who visit each year.
• As the frontline faces of the Oregon Capitol, you give visitors a positive impression of state government by sharing your love of Oregon and your knowledge of our history and aspirations.
• And it must be rewarding for you as well, since I understand that two volunteers, Art Schmidt and Pat Crotteau, are being honored today for 20 years of service, and one, Evelyn Wood, for 30 years, wow!
• Evelyn was a fixture at the staff desk outside the Senate Chamber during my first legislative session, which was nearly 25 years ago, believe it or not. I could always count on her big warm smile to greet me every day.
• Volunteers are so important. They are the backbone of many worthy organizations, and Visitors Services is fortunate to benefit from so many dedicated individuals.
• In the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., “Everybody can be great because anybody can serve. You only need a heart full of grace, a soul generated by love.”
• Thank you for your love of service, of Oregon and our State Capitol. Your service to the Legislature and the Governor’s Office is much appreciated. Enjoy today’s celebration – you’ve earned it.