Community College and Workforce Development

Oregon High School Equivalency Program logoFrequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for Students and Prospective Students​: 

Oregon GED Program

Also see FAQ for Testing/Preparation Partners.​


If you received your certificate on or after January 1, 2014, log into your account at​.  
If you received your certificate before January 1, 2014, call 1-888-906-4031.
The Oregon Higher Education Coordinating Commission (HECC) does not house GED® certificates.  You must follow the above instructions to obtain your GED® certificate.​​
Please review the information in the FAQ for Testing/Preparation section.​


Go to​. Click on create an account. You will have choices to schedule your test, study, look for a prep & instruction site and testing site near you.
Some community colleges offer some financial support for preparation and testing. Please contact your nearest community college for more information. Also see:
Yes. Please see “Options Program and Underage Students” below.​​ When you are ready to test, you will need to bring the following documents:
  1. Signed Parent Form

  2. Signed District Letter that allows you to test 

Yes, but you must be 18 years old and provide a government issued ID (e.g. passport, non-United States official ID with photo or United States issued identification).
Yes. Fees will be applied. See​ for more information.
Yes. If you have graduated from a high school in the United States and obtained a modified diploma, you may take the GED® test.​

Option Program and Underage Students

These answers are for students 16 to 17 years of age.  If you are 18 and over, the below most likely will not apply to you.​

A candidate for the GED® Option Program must be:

  1. At least 16 years of age
  2. A full year’s academic credit behind their 9th grade cohorts or for other reasons specifically identified in the local plan, unable to complete their diploma with their class
  3. Able to demonstrate their reading level to be 8th grade or above according to local instruction and testing
  4. Approved for participation after completing the local approval process as outlined in the districts GED® Option application
  5. Enrolled in high school and able to provide the following information

If you are under 18 years of age, the following steps will assist you in attaining your GED®.
  1. Be enrolled in a high school.

  2. Talk with the school about their “Option Program” or have them direct you to the nearest “Option Program”.  

  3. Have the following forms filled out (keep signed copies of the below for your files as you will need them moving forward):

  4. ​Enroll in and attend the “Option Program” classes.

  5. Create an account at .

  6. Enroll to test at an approved “Testing Site”​.   

  7. Bring copies of all your paperwork to the testing center before you test along with government issued ID that contains a picture (examples:  Student ID Card, State ID)

If the ESD is enrolled as an Oregon Option Program, they can give you an exemption.  If the ESD is not enrolleld as an Oregon Option Program, you will need to obtain from your local school district.​
Per GED® Option Program policy, it is required that the district/program provides a recognition ceremony for students who earn their certificate. Students are not required to attend.​​
Yes. Earning a GED® does not exempt a student from a Free Appropriate Public Education, (FAPE). Students participating in a GED® Option Program aligned with Oregon standards, essential skills and diploma requirements may be awarded high school credit toward graduation. ​​

Job Corps

Yes, in Oregon this law applies to Job Corps participants.​
Oregon Law does not consider Job Corps participants differently from any other minor. If the participant is under 18, Oregon Law requires them to enroll in the GED® Option Program unless they have graduated from high school or have an Exemption from Compulsory Attendance.​
In the late 60’s and throughout the 70’s, Job Corps followed the federal guidelines for passing the GED® (score of 35) while Oregon’s guidelines were higher at a score of 40. To receive a copy of the certificate you earned via Job Corps during this time, please contact the National Job Corps Office at (415) 625-2600 or at​.  ​

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ ​​​Veterans

You will need to call 1-888-906-4031.  Please have the following information ready: Date of Birth, Last 4 of your social security number and the last name you used when taking the test.

Please call the Oregon State General Education Program at 503-947-5608.​ or contact us at 
Oregon passed a law (ORS 332.114​ Issuance of diplomas to veterans) allowing eligible veterans to earn their high school diploma if they served in the Armed Forces of the United States during specific time frames.  If you want to find out about eligibility, please contact the Veterans Education Specialist at the Oregon State Approving Agency (SAA) for Veterans Education Programs at (503) 947-5727, or e-mail her at  For more information on the bill and eligibility: The Veterans Education Specialist is not able to assist you with GED® questions and/or certificates.