2023 Legislative Session Resources
During each legislative session, the Higher Education Coordinating Commission (HECC) presents to legislative committees and advises the Oregon Legislature and the Governor on topics of critical concern to Oregon postsecondary education, working in close collaboration with campus leaders and partners.
Explore recent HECC Work Group and formal Reports submitted to the Oregon Legislature here.
HECC Legislative Updates to the Commission:
HECC staff regularly updates the Commission at its public meetings. View meeting materials here.
2023 Legislative Summary
The HECC Legislative Summary provides an overview of a selection of key legislative investments and bills approved during Oregon’s 2023 Legislative Session pertaining to postsecondary education and training.
Read about the typical budget process and timeline here.
See below for HECC presentations on the GRB to the Oregon Legislature.
Read details on HECC-sponsored legislation this Session in slide numbers 97-99 of our budget presentation here.
- HB 3565 – Oregon Tribal Student Grant Program
- HB 3561 – Early Childhood Care and Education Scholarship
- SB 217 – Cosmetology Curriculum
- HB 3563 – Oregon Youth Works
- HB 3560 – Statutory Immunity
- HB 3564 – Commission Membership and Other Minor Revisions
HECC Legislative Presentations or Testimony
Joint Committee on Ways and Means, Subcommittee on Education
Follow up on the Postsecondary Education and Training Budget
HECC Presentations on the Postsecondary Education and Training Budget
- Monday, April 3: HECC Day 1, Introduction to Postsecondary Education and Training in Oregon, Ben Cannon
- Tuesday, April 4: HECC Day 2, The Funding Landscape for the Postsecondary Education and Training Budget + HECC Agency Budget, Ben Cannon and Tom Riel
- Wednesday, April 5: HECC Day 3, Key Factors in Affordability, Investments in Financial Aid, Ben Cannon and Juan Báez-Arévalo
- Thursday, April 6: HECC Day 4, Featured Strategies related to Funding, Reporting, Learner Pathways, and Outreach, Ben Cannon
- Wednesday, April 12: HECC Day 5, Investment in Institutions: Impact on OregoniansBen Cannon, Donna Lewelling, Veronica Dujon, Julia Steinberger
- Monday, April 17: HECC Day 7, Investment in Institutions: Funding Levels, Ben Cannon, Jim Pinkard
- Tuesday, April 18: OPPORTUNITY FOR PUBLIC TESTIMONY on financial aid and other HECC budget topics
- Wednesday, April 19: presentations by workforce partners + OPPORTUNITY FOR PUBLIC TESTIMONY on workforce investments
- April 20, 24, 25 (tentative): presentations by Community College leaders and advocates + OPPORTUNITY FOR PUBLIC TESTIMONY on community college investments on April 25
- April 26, 27, May 3 (tentative): presentations by Public University leaders and advocates + OPPORTUNITIES FOR PUBLIC TESTIMONY on public university investments related to the following themes -- April 26 Public University Educational Mission, April 27 Public Service Mission, May 3 Research & Economic Mission.
- May 4 (tentative): OHSU, HECC conclusion + OPPORTUNITY FOR PUBLIC TESTIMONY on OHSU related programs
February 21, 2023, As part of the Education Overview by multiple presenters, Postsecondary Education and Training Overview, Ben Cannon
January 25, 2023, Future Ready Oregon, Jennifer Purcell, HECC| Future Ready Oregon Year One Report
House Committee on Education
- April 25, 2023, DOC/HECC testimony on SB 269 (Directs Department of Corrections and Higher Education Coordinating Commission to enter into memorandum of understanding regarding correctional education system).
- March 21, 2023, HECC testimony on HB 3565 (Establishes Oregon Tribal Student Grant program).
- March 21, 2023, HECC testimony on HB 3564 (Increases number of members of Higher Education Coordinating Commission representing congressional districts from five to six and decreases number of members of commission representing general public from four to three).
- March 16, 2023, HECC testimony on HB 3563 (Creates Oregon Youth Works Advisory Board to advise on and oversee implementation and alignment of youth workforce development programs for which Higher Education Coordinating Commission is responsible).
- March 16, 2023, HECC Testimony on HB 3560 (Prohibits person from suing Higher Education Coordinating Commission for commission's performance, or failure to perform, any duty, function or power relating to psilocybin products following effective date of Ballot Measure 109 ).
- March 14, 2023, HECC Testimony on HB 3561 (Specifies that term "early childhood care and education" includes early childhood behavioral and mental health services for purposes of scholarships and grants awarded to ensure state has adequate supply of early childhood care and education professionals).
- February 22, 2023, Overview of Oregon Financial Aid Programs, Juan Báez-Arévalo, HECC
- January 31, 2023, Future Ready Oregon, Jennifer Purcell, HECC
- January 26, 2023, College Readiness Data, Ben Cannon, Amy Cox, HECC
- January 17, 2023, Higher Education System Overview, Ben Cannon, Executive Director, HECC
House Committee on Business and Labor
House Committee on Behavior Health and Healthcare
- February 1, 2023, Testimony on House Bill 2977 (Requires HECC, in collaboration with OHA, to establish grant program for purpose of distributing moneys to institutions of higher education to develop programs that prepare students to enter into behavioral health workforce)
House Committee on Emergency Management, General Government, and Veterans
- January 26, 2023. Testimony on House Bill 2615 (Allows veterans to participate in Oregon Promise program if first enrolled in classes within 12 months after discharge from military).
Senate Committee on Education
March, 30, 2023, HECC Testimony on SB 262
(Requires Higher Education Coordinating Commission to conduct study to determine best method for decreasing student debt held by students who attend public post-secondary institutions of education.)
January 26, 2023, HECC testimony on SB 217 (Requires that cosmetology curriculum taught by school meet standards established by Board of Cosmetology and be approved by Health Licensing Office).
January 26, 2023, HECC testimony on SB 271
(Requires governing bodies of counties to submit to Department of Education record showing any changes in boundaries of school districts over which board has jurisdiction).
January 26, 2023, HECC Testimony on SB 424
(Prohibits post-secondary institutions of education that are based in Oregon from refusing to provide transcript to current or former student because student owes debt to institution).
- January 19, 2023. Higher Education System Overview, Ben Bannon, Executive Director, HECC
Senate Committee on Labor and Business