Portland, OR—The update for Friday is as follows:
• DEQ and EPA emergency response crews were deployed again today in parts of the Pearl District, downtown Portland, and other areas to continue looking for and removing asbestos-containing debris released from the May 14 North River Street warehouse fire.
• Results from air sampling continue to be encouraging. Five fixed stationary air samplers were deployed at the warehouse location and in the Pearl District and downtown Portland. Initial results from the five air sampling devices ranged from ‘no detections' of asbestos fibers to levels that were well below action levels.
• In addition to the five stationary air monitors, some field crew members are wearing portable, personal air samplers to measure asbestos concentrations in their breathing zone as they perform their debris reconnaissance and recovery duties. These personal devices are yielding data that matches that of the stationary air sampling devices of either ‘no detections' of asbestos fibers to levels that were below action levels.
• Preliminary air sampling results and a map of the debris search and cleanup area are available at the following link: http://arcg.is/2q1W5o7.
• We will continue to provide air sampling results as they become available.
• Crews began misting the warehouse debris pile this morning with water. The misting efforts will continue around the clock to prevent further release of asbestos fibers.
• Community outreach efforts also continue, with teams walking affected neighborhoods and supplying safety tips and information about the cleanup.
Public Safety Tips:
• Do not touch, pick up, move or vacuum any debris that may have come from the fire. Asbestos-containing debris will look like ash or paper, and crumbles into fibers easily.
• If you find any of this debris, do not touch it and please call 503-229-6488. Leave a message with: your name and phone number, address or location where you saw the debris, and what the debris looks like. We will contact you with more information.
For incident response updates visit: http://www.oregon.gov/deq/Programs/Pages/River-Str...
Jennifer Flynt, Public Information Officer, DEQ, 503-730-5924, email@example.com
Suzanne Skadowski, Public Information Officer, EPA, 206-900-3309, firstname.lastname@example.org
# # #