Salem, OR—Ten leaders in on-the-job safety and health were honored with awards at the 2023 Oregon Governor’s Occupational Safety and Health (GOSH) Conference, during a Wednesday, March 8, ceremony at the Oregon Convention Center in Portland.
A panel of industry professionals judges the awards, which honor extraordinary contributions to the field of workplace safety and health. The categories include association, business leader, innovation, safety and health professional, safety committee, and workplace safety program.
The recipients this year are as follows:
Association Award – recognizes Oregon-based associations that have made major contributions to safety and health for their members
• Oregon Trucking Association, which advocates for the trucking industry in Oregon. Its membership includes everyone from single owner-operators to motor carriers with trucks traveling millions of miles annually.
Business Leader Award – recognizes a business leader whose job is not safety and health but who demonstrates commitment to safety and health within their industry
• Luke Norenberg, plant manager of Oregon Potato Company’s processing facility in Boardman.
Innovation Awards – recognizes the employee or team who creates an idea, a product, or a concept that promotes a safer workplace
• Andrea Dayot, a registered nurse and director of occupational health at Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU)
• Flynn BEC, a Portland area company that provides commercial roofing and cladding services, including new roofing and cladding, roof leak repair, waterproofing, alterations, and preventive maintenance.
Safety and Health Professional Awards – recognizes people whose primary job responsibilities are safety and health
• Dede Montgomery, MS, CIH. A certified industrial hygienist and champion of Total Worker Health, she spent more than 17 years in key roles at the Oregon Institute of Occupational Health Sciences at Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU). Currently, she is program manager for Our Good Health and Well-Being at Legacy Health.
• Darren Toy, CSP, environmental, health, and safety regional manager for Andersen Construction in Portland.
Safety Committee/Team Award – recognizes the work of safety committees or teams that made substantial efforts in the prevention of workplace injury and illness
• Children’s Farm Home Workplace Safety and Health Committee. The Corvallis-based Children’s Farm Home – part of the nonprofit Trillium Family Services – is a residential psychiatric treatment facility for children.
Workplace Safety Program Awards – recognizes workplace activities or projects that resulted in an outstanding contribution to occupational safety and health
• Arauco Duraflake Particle Board. Based in Albany, the company manufactures various grades and sizes of particle board panels for use in such applications as cabinets, countertops, shelves, office furniture, and door components.
• Portland International Airport (PDX) Operations. Owned and operated by the Port of Portland, PDX involves 571 employees who are responsible for safety across multiple departments, including airport operations, maintenance, police, fire and rescue, and administrative support.
• Whitaker Ellis Builders, Inc. Based in Portland, Whitaker Ellis is a specialty concrete contractor. It specializes in a variety of commercial and industrial applications, including foundations, basement and retaining walls, post-tension decks, and complex architectural concrete.
The GOSH Conference is a joint effort of the American Society of Safety Professionals Columbia-Willamette Chapter, Oregon OSHA – a division of the Department of Consumer and Business Services – and labor and businesses in Oregon and southwest Washington.
More information about the conference is on the GOSH website: www.oregongosh.com
Oregon OSHA, a division of the Department of Consumer and Business Services, enforces the state's workplace safety and health rules and works to improve workplace safety and health for all Oregon workers. For more information, go to osha.oregon.gov
The Department of Consumer and Business Services is Oregon's largest business regulatory and consumer protection agency. For more information, go to oregon.gov/dcbs.
Aaron Corvin, public information officer