Statewide, OR—The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality issued 13 penalties totaling $294,099 in June for various environmental violations. A detailed list of violations and resulting penalties is at https://go.usa.gov/xEQJn.
Fines ranged from $450 to $116,230. Alleged violations included failing to comply with stormwater permits, failing to properly train employees on hazardous waste management, submitting required documentation late, polluting waters of the state, conducting unlicensed asbestos abatement and more.
DEQ issued civil penalties against the following organizations and individuals:
• CFMW, LLC, $14,747, Portland (water quality)
• Chen, Frankie, $7,600, La Grande (air quality)
• City of Albany, $5,400, Albany (water quality)
• City of Newport, $13,480, Newport (water quality)
• Conrad and Bischoff, Inc., $688, Pacific City (water quality)
• Eastern Oregon University, $9,000, La Grande (water quality)
• Isovolta, Inc., $23,136, Harrisburg (hazardous waste)
• NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc., $825, Statewide (materials management)
• North River Homes, LLC, $50,543, Warrenton (water quality)
• NRC Environmental Services, Inc., $9,600, Sherwood (solid waste)
• Rose City Contracting, Inc., $42,400, Wilsonville (air quality)
• Rotschy, Inc., $116,230, Portland (water quality)
• Vision Computers, Inc., $450, Statewide (materials management)
Organizations or individuals must either pay the fines or file an appeal within 20 days of receiving notice of the penalty. They may be able to offset a portion of a penalty by funding a supplemental environmental project that improves Oregon’s environment.
Penalties may also include orders requiring specific tasks to prevent ongoing violations or additional environmental harm.
DEQ works with thousands of organizations and individuals to help them comply with laws that protect Oregon’s air, land and water. DEQ uses education, technical assistance, warnings and penalties to change behavior and deter future violations.
Contact: Lauren Wirtis, public affairs specialist, 503-229-6488, firstname.lastname@example.org